• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anything be done to hide small paintwork stone chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anything be done to hide small paintwork stone chips?

Even though my car is just 2 months old I am amazed, yet not surprised, just how many tiny chips the windscreen has received in that time. Today I noticed a couple of small chips (around 2mm each) on the otherwise near perfect bonnet (hood). I am pretty sure a stone that hit the screen actually bounced off the bonnet

What crossed my mind when washing the car today was whether there is any combination of products that could be used with a paint touch up kit to mitigate the appearance of the chips - why do black cars always seem to have a white undercoat!! I wondered whether the chips could be touched in with colour plus clear coat, and then flattened with compound either by hand or DA.

Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Can anything be done to hide small paintwork stone chips?

You could try dr. color chip to fix some of the smaller chips.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

The Dr Color Chip process seems to get really good reviews so looks to be heading to my kit bag

Comment

That white is probably the very bottom of the clear. If so, you can get clear in a touch up bottle and refill it. Wait a day or two for it to cure and sand/buff even with the remaining paint.
        If it is down to bare medal put a dab of base (try to fill half way) and wait a day. Follow it with clear to fill in the rest.
        If you're wanting to go all the way through and really make it stick throw some etching primer on a qtip and barely sap it in the tiny spot. Keep it away from the car when you're spraying it on the qtip to avoid overspray on your car. Hope that helps!

Comment

Does anyone know what the small brush supplied with the Dr Colorchip kit should be cleaned with? Is it Acetone or something else?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');