• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastX vs Mirror Glaze Pro - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlastX vs Mirror Glaze Pro - Questions

I have searched and read posts concerning PlastX & the Clear Plastic Pro System for over an hour now. I still haven't found a clear answer to my questions.

I have read posts that state PlastX is as good as the Pro System with less work & cost. I have read posts that state that PlastX is 'good enough' for most situations but the Pro Systems carries it to the next level. I have even read posts that state the Pro System didn't produce the results that PlastX did. I have read suggestions to combine the two; i.e. use #10 polish after using PlastX to fill in any micro scratches left by PlastX.

I need to do some work to my fifteen year old tail lights. I have no idea whether to buy the Pro System, PlastX, or both. I have always felt that you get the results that you work for. Having said that, I am inclined to believe that you will get better results with a two-step product than you will with an all-in-one wonder product. But, I need to remove some fine scratches in the plastic. I know that PlastX has abrasive properties and the Pro System does not. I have never seen any product remove surface imperfections that did not contain abrasives. If the Pro System does indeed remove scratches as it is advertised, how does it do it? Should I use PlastX in place of #17 and then finish the job with #10?

Can someone please help me?

Thanks for searching first. Plastx is the more aggressive of the two. If your just looking to restore some head lights try plastx first. The pro line stuff still has it's place, but if I were to have a choice between the pro products and plastx if I could only have one it would be plastx.

The pro series is best as a least aggressive product. Say you were doing your interior instrument cluster and it didn't have any major correction needed why remove excess material (though this is extremely unlikely with plastic it's so thick). I think the pro products are supposed to have a bit more of an anti static property to it too.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Yeah I tried both the pro products and Plastx. No contest as far as I'm concerned. Plastx destroys #10 and #17. I couldn't remove anything with the pro products. Plastx removed some major defects. Plastx is also one step and leaves protection behind. Great stuff.

Comment

*Bump*

Comment

Originally posted by thejazzguy
          *Bump*
          PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive which will enable you to remove swirls and scratches out of plastic.

M17 is a light cleaner mostly chemical I think, not even close to having the ability PlastX has.

M10 is a pure polish, excellent for applying to plastic after applying either PlastX or M17, kind of like you would apply a wax after cleaning and polishing.

I know I've typed up some pretty lengthy information on all of these products, might try using the search button and the term PlastX.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Man...what would you do without me...

Here you go! A la Mike Phillips:

Originally posted by dnoraker
            How does #10/#17 compare with PlastX in function?
            They compare differently because they are different products.

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products
            Here is the complete collection of products Meguiar's offers for working with clear plastics both by hand and machine.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner

Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using our two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with our M-1008 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer

A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels and instrument lenses to eyeglasses, CD's and picture frames.

PlastX

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meguiar's teaches the philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done. We also teach that surfaces, in this case clear plastic, need to be maintained. Maintaining a surface is an ongoing process, not a one time procedure. Thus in order of aggressiveness...

M10 Plastic Polish - Completely non-aggressive. This is a pure polish that is formulated to restore optical clarity and maintain clear plastic surfaces. M10 Plastic Polish should be used on plastic surfaces in excellent shape to maintain them, and/or after a neglected plastic surface has been pre-cleaned using a dedicated plastic cleaner such as M17 Plastic Cleaner, or PlastX. M10 Plastic polish leaves behind an anti-static surface.

M17 Plastic Cleaner - M17 is a light cleaning polish for clear plastics, it is non-abrasive and and perfect for removing stains, light oxidation and other contaminants off the surface. It can remove very light scratches out of soft plastics when worked thoroughly but gently against the surface. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

PlastX - PlastX is a unique plastic cleaner in that it contains a special microscopic diminishing abrasive that enables it to actually remove below surface scratches by removing small particles of plastic surrounding the scratches. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

Besides your choice of product, your choice of applicator material can also effect the aggressiveness or gentleness of a product. Meguiar's Hi-Tech Foam Wax applicators are a good choice for gentle cleaning and polishing. For more aggressive cleaning and polishing, try using a material with a nap such as 100% cotton toweling, or our Even Coat Applicators made out of microfiber.

Because clear plastic surfaces tend to be scratch-sensitive, remember that not only is your choice of product and applicator material important, but just as important is the quality and type of removal material, in other words, your wipe-off clothes or towels. For clear plastic surfaces, always use a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth, or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Inspect your wiping-cloth before using to insure it is clean and free from contaminants and anything that cold instill a scratch into the plastic surface.

When working on plastic surfaces for the first time, and whenever you use a product for the first time, it's always a good idea to test the product, your applicator material and your application process, (In this case your hand and your skill level), in an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good, so test first to be an the safe side.
            I think this should cover it!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim (and Mike.) I'd been trying to find the last part of your post (having read it a while ago) but hadn't been successful. Great info!

Comment

Thanks Tim,

You're like a Hyper-Snooping Cyber Bloodhound!
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  Thanks Tim,

You're like a Hyper-Snooping Cyber Bloodhound!
                  Thanks!.....I think....

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');