• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracking in clear coat after buffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracking in clear coat after buffing

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice? A few weeks ago I painted a few motorcycle panels. I did them with spray cans but spent a lot of time on preparation. I used the professional type cans that they mix up for you and then a good brand of acrylic clear. I was pretty happy with the result other than some orange peel. I wet sanded the clear down flat with 1500grit and then 2500grit and then used a lambswool (synthetic?) 3" pad on my cordless drill and Ultimate Compound. I then used an orange foam pad also with UC. The next day I was going to use a finer foam pad to finish when I noticed that there were a lot of parallel crack lines all through the clear when you look at it in the sun, and also random direction lines that you can see when you get the angle right. I swear these weren't there the day before. Could something to do with my buffing technique have caused this? Maybe heat from the pads?

I'm gutted because I spent a lot of time on them and thought I was being really careful throughout the whole process.

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Cracking in clear coat after buffing

Mark, could you post some pics of the affected area(s) ? It would help to determine the cause and solution.

Comment

I had a bit of trouble getting a photo that shows the issue clearly, but here you can see the lines towards the bottom.

Comment

Did you wet sand the same direction like those lines ? It looks like the sanding marks are not fully removed. When sanding with two different grits it's good to change direction: 1,500 grit up & down and 2,500 grit left & right. You may need to step up to a more powerful tool and compound again.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
          Did you wet sand the same direction like those lines ? It looks like the sanding marks are not fully removed. When sanding with two different grits it's good to change direction: 1,500 grit up & down and 2,500 grit left & right. You may need to step up to a more powerful tool and compound again.
          Thanks Greg. No I don't think they are scratches. I sanded in a circular motion and had the surface all nice and uniform and dull. It appears like there are deep cracks in the clear which are way more obvious when you get the angle right in the sunlight. The surface it totally smooth and you can't feel anything with a thumbnail.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm no rotary, buffing or paint expert, but could it be cracking due to heat build up?

Comment

Mark, if this is indeed clear coat cracking (no scratches) you need to repaint it. There's no other way around as it's a clear coat failure. As a temporary (for esthetic reason) solution, you may apply a pure polish (M07 Show Car Glaze, Deep Crystal Polish) just to cover it up.

Comment

Hi,

Im thinking either the paint is to thick or its dried to quick and caused cracks.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');