• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to this forum

Glad you realized and come to the conclusion that some so called detail places are just that! And that you have did your home work and going at this yourself. Just reread and listen to what Michael Stoops wrote and remember what he said "it's still just paint"!!

I think you will do a great job and when you get your technique down you will have the best looking Corvette around not to mention a flawless scratch sensitive hard paint!

And remember we want lots of pics with your detail!!
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I can't believe the "experts" in town can't help you and push you off taking the easy way out saying that it can't be fixed! Unbelievable! On the flip side I'm happy to see you got great results with 205 and are taking matters into your own hands. You are going to love the buffer and it will make life easier for you even though you have neck issues. Just take your time. It doesn't have to be done in one day either, however long it takes you is how long it takes you. Nothing wrong with nickel and dimeing it till you're done. Looking forward to hearing about your results! No professionals with tools in town can help, but you're getting good results by hand, sheesh!

Comment

UPDATE - Purchased a DA Polisher. Set speed to 4.5. Used Orange/Yellow cut pad and M-205 polish. Started off slow so I could get my "legs". Had to go over a few spots a couple of times. Here's the results.
        A-Pillar (after market) - Had the worst of the micro scratches. In the sun light, damn close to 100% "fixed"
        Repaired Mirror - IMO, 100% "fixed".
        Right side of car. One small issue remains but I'll get that another day. All the rest appears damn close to 100% "fixed". Will post pics when 'my baby' is finished and waxed.
        Will work the rest of the vette with slight micro scratches another day... if the sun ever comes back out again.

Meguiar's M-205 did the job as promised if one follows all the instructions. Wet/Rinse pad to start. Prime pad. Re-apply M-205 to pad. Place pad/DA on clear BEFORE starting DA Polisher. Medium pressure for four passes followed by two passes with light pressure to buff. TURN OFF DA BEFORE lifting from car or you will splatter the M-205 all over the garage (Learned that one quickly).

For my issues with micro scratches, Meguiar's M-205 was the best choice. Still need to finish the rest of the vette, but I'm very pleased with the results so far, although my neck is angry with me now.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Would have never attempted this on my own until coming here.

Comment

BTW, I was told (slipped out) by the local GM dealership body shop manager that many 'detail shops' will use "Gloss" when they 'detail' a car... BUT, just as soon as it rains or you wash the car, that nice shinny finish washes off and your back to those micro scratches again. I got the impression it was a slick move by the detail shops to keep you coming back. "My car has those scratches showing again". Did you wash your car? (No matter how one answers that question, their reply will be) You must have scratched the paint again when you washed it. Bring your car back in and I'll detail it (apply gloss) again for another $250.00.
          Also found out, NO detail shop in town uses a DA Polisher. All they use is a rotary polisher (mostly air powered) with a wool pad.

Comment

Forgot to mention the roof and the roof pillars are damn close to 100%, too.

Comment

One last question. Where can one purchase GOOD pads (Orange/Yellow - 6.5" w/velcro back) that don't shred or De-laminate after using for a short time? The two Orange pads I bought shredded after only 1/4 of the car being polished. Is this normal or did I buy cheap pads? Seems all the reviews I read, no matter who makes the pads, they all have the same shredding issues after being used for a relatively short period of time.

Comment

Great job Joe!

I knowed you could do it, now just Image what you will know and can accomplish in another year or so!!!

You'll be the vette-man around you area that truly knows how to polish paint the RIGHT WAY!! Take advantage of that and make some extra money

What pads did you have that came apart, where did they come from and brand?

I thought that you was getting the meguiars 2.0 pads but said in a preveious post that it was a orange/yellow cut?
                ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

FINISHED THE VETTE. Don't know how to post individual pics, but here's the link to my album. First 5 pics are the AFTER polish. Pics 6 & 7 shows the micro scratches before I started this journey.

Meguiar's M-205, Orange cut pad, DA Polisher. IMO, the clear is nearly 100% FIXED (I'll give it a 97% total). Still can see just a few strands of a spider web here and there, but far better than before.

Many thanks to all who helped me through this.

Comment

Awesome, great work!

I love it when a plan comes together...
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Before

After

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSip View Post
                        BTW, I was told (slipped out) by the local GM dealership body shop manager that many 'detail shops' will use "Gloss" when they 'detail' a car... BUT, just as soon as it rains or you wash the car, that nice shinny finish washes off and your back to those micro scratches again. I got the impression it was a slick move by the detail shops to keep you coming back. "My car has those scratches showing again". Did you wash your car? (No matter how one answers that question, their reply will be) You must have scratched the paint again when you washed it. Bring your car back in and I'll detail it (apply gloss) again for another $250.00.
                        Also found out, NO detail shop in town uses a DA Polisher. All they use is a rotary polisher (mostly air powered) with a wool pad.
                        Sounds like they are just using a glaze. It will fill in the swirls and scratches but it won't leave any protection. After a wash or 2 and it's gone.

Originally posted by JoeSip View Post
                        http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ender2/cat/500

FINISHED THE VETTE. Don't know how to post individual pics, but here's the link to my album. First 5 pics are the AFTER polish. Pics 6 & 7 shows the micro scratches before I started this journey.

Meguiar's M-205, Orange cut pad, DA Polisher. IMO, the clear is nearly 100% FIXED (I'll give it a 97% total). Still can see just a few strands of a spider web here and there, but far better than before.

Many thanks to all who helped me through this.
                        Glad to hear you got good results. The end result looks great. Nice job.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');