• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber or foam? first attempt using DA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber or foam? first attempt using DA.

Hi All,
    I've never used a DA polisher on paintwork before always done it by hand and never really gone deep enough to remove swirls or defects until now. Picked up a G220v2 from the bay that came with 5" MF cutting and finishing discs. Would it be better for me new to machine polishing to learn using micro fiber pads or get a set of foams. I'm going to practice on some old scrap panels first to get in some sort of routine. Also if I do use the MF pads can I mix and match the products ie finishing pad with Megs DA Microfiber correction compound or cutting disc with finishing wax to get more or less correction.
    Thanks

Re: Microfiber or foam? first attempt using DA.

since you are new i highly recommend starting with foam then maybe playing around with CCS Pads..

a good way to practice is by detailing friend and family cars :-)..

Comment

I would get both MF and foam pads but I would start with foam pads. Once you get your technique down then you can go with MF. I would also recommend the lake country 5.5 inch flat pads. Autogeek sells a 6 pack for a good price.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I would recommend Buff & Shine pads over Lake Country. Much more durable construction. Megs also sells very durable, excellent working pads. I prefer both to Lake Country.

Comment

Originally posted by RPPM View Post
          I would recommend Buff & Shine pads over Lake Country. Much more durable construction. Megs also sells very durable, excellent working pads. I prefer both to Lake Country.
          Great point Kris!
          Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
          Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
          Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

to MOL monkey

And welcome to the start of your OCD MOL addiction! You've come to the right place a bunch of great and talented guys on here. My opinion is that since your here your wanting to learn how to do the very best job and have the best flawless finish possible and learn from our mistakes so you don't have any troubles and do the job right the first time!

What I would do is get you a test hood (like you mentioned) and pratice on that with the cutting & finishing disk and until you get some experience and pratice under your belt to stick with the products that they was designed with. I haven't tried it yet but come spring time I will be get this system as well as a couple more meguars things. Here's a link for some more info if you haven't already seen it, explained by the of the best out there.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ther-obviously!)

On the pads I've used all 3 that has been mention and I like them all but which ever you go with like goldenlight suggested I would start with the foam pads first, and again my opinion is that it's best to get the 6 pk deal and get 4) polishing pads and 2) finishing pads and if you take care of your pads the proper way your pads will take care of you.

Also look at these articles.

And these great how to video's.

Also remember always use the least aggressive product to get the job done!

And I think this is the best and most important thing of detailing!
            How to use detailing clay video

Hope I've heped
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks Daniel, Wise words. I guess at the start of a new hobby(addiction) you can read all the reviews on this product and that product but I'll learn more getting the da out and using it.(With some guidance from you guys)

Comment

I would say to stick with the foam since the MF is a more aggressive medium for polishing.

ANd yes you can mix and match the compound with the different style of pads to ramp up the aggressiveness.

OF course all of this is based on the level of defect you are dealing with...

can you post any pics to perhaps help with assistance?

As far as first using the DA .. i would keep it on speed 4 and remember to keep it level and just put enough pressure on ot to keep it to the surface. You WANT the backing plate to rotate. SO, if it helps, take a sharpie and draw some thick lines in the backing plate so that you will be able to see the rotating backing plate with more ease.... if the backing plate stops moving you are LOSING correction capability... either by catching an edge or by pushing too hard....

the resources listed above are great learning tools... enjoy your new buffer and welcome to MOL
                Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
                OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
                2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');