• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many stone chips have you picked up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many stone chips have you picked up?

How about windshield? I have changed the windshield of this car 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Detailing by M View Post
      Dr. Color Chip will serve you well
      I have this product in my kit bag but haven't used it yet. Do you have experience with it? Any tips and hints?

Comment

Used my Dr Colorchip kit on 6 small stone chips today for the first time, 1 on the front wing, 1 on the rear window pillar and 4 on the bonnet (hood).

My early feedback is as follows:-

1. I really like this product and it is way way superior to using regular touch up paint.
        2. It is easy to use. I cleaned each chip with the pre cleaner to remove any deposits and wax in the area. The paint is then dabbed on with a small supplied brush and then gently smeared over the chip with your finger (it does feel a little sticky on the glove when doing this). I waited about 5 minutes and then removed the excess with the supplied blending solution which somehow removes all the excess without taking the colour out of the chip. This is then polished off with a microfibre cloth. This works very well and does not effect the original paint.
        3. One application does not seem to fill the chip adequately. I did several applications and the small chips are still not filled smooth to the original depth so I'm wondering if I did something wrong here.
        4. My car is a very glazed metallic black. The colour match is excellent but I am struggling to get the paint in the chips to glaze over - they seem very matt looking - again I'm wondering if I'm not smoothing the paint over properly or whether it will polish up after the week of curing.
        5. There are absolutely no blobs with this product which is impressive.

If anyone has used this product for a while I'd be really interested in any tips for getting the best results.

Comment

Is ColorChip supposed to fill in the holes?
          If so, it's better than touch-up paint and I will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
            Is ColorChip supposed to fill in the holes?
            If so, it's better than touch-up paint and I will buy it.
            Yes, as, this is the process:-

DAB! SMEAR! REMOVE!
            STEP 1: The paint is dabbed on with a brush, then lightly smeared with your thumb to smooth the paint flat and flush across the chip. It may be reapplied as needed until it appears to adequately cover the chip. If smeared properly, the paint will be dry to the touch within a minute. For road rash, the paint may be applied to a T-shirt rag, then smeared across the panel to quickly address hundreds of tiny chips at once.
            STEP 2: The excess paint is then removed using our blending solution. The solution is applied to a soft, folded T-shirt rag and lightly rubbed over the excess paint. The paint will begin blending away after a few passes with the cloth. A soft terry cloth or microfiber towel is then used to buff off the residual solution to an amazing shine. This process may be done within 2 minutes to 2 hours after applying the paint. Although the paint is dry to the touch, it will still take about a week to fully cure. However, it may be immediately exposed to water without coming out of the chips.

Comment

Yesterday I received the mother of all stone chips on my bonnet

Did a job with Dr Colorchip and it has greatly mitigated the chip by covering the white undercoat but I think it will take a lot of coats to build up to the top layer of the clear coat.

I was wondering whether to finish off with a Langka treatment but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of this product?

Comment

Is some photos possible?
                Sorry about the big stone chip. We all hate stones on the road.

Comment

Don't have a photo but as it stands the chip is covered in paint using Dr Colorship. The only issues are that the area is still recessed and the paint a little dull looking.

I was wondering whether to now build up with clear coat and use Langka to flatten the blob. What I don't know though is how well Langka works with Clear Coat as opposed to touch up paint. I was hoping someone on this forum may have some experience.

Comment

Went to the Drcolorchip website, looked up my vehicle, but the paint code wasn't shown in their list.

What do you do then?
                    2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

I prefer picking up Vegas chips myself. Stone chips are not playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                        I prefer picking up Vegas chips myself. Stone chips are not playable.
                        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Okay, My Langka blob eliminator fluid arrived today and I thought I'd simply try and add some clear coat on top of the Dr Colorchip paint. Of course as soon as I started to work the Langka it removed all the newly applied clear coat AND the Dr Colorchip paint which had dried very dull.

So I stated again with Mercedes touch up paint and applied a nice blob of paint using a number 1 paintbrush. Contrary to all the blurb that says wait 2 hours for the paint to dry - DONT. Start after about 10-15 minutes otherwise the paint seems to get too hard too quickly. If it all comes out then just start again and leave longer. The Langka system simply doesn't hurt the factory finish.

For a larger chip the Langka system is defintely better than Dr Colourchip. The recess fills up much quicker and the paint dries shiny. It does take more time to work the blob off though.

So the position I have now is as follows:

1. The paint chip is filled and covered with factory touch up paint with a very fine recess, enough to add clear coat touch up (also treatable with the Blob Eliminator) The blob eliminator worked brilliantly and there is no excess paint around the chip and the paint is flat.
                          2. I have some small areas of 'clear coat' scaring around the actual chip from where the rock must have hit (so annoying ). Part of me says I should flatten these small areas a bit with sand paper????????? The thought of this makes me nervous - any suggestions guys??????? Any compounds instead of paper??????
                          3. The last phase will be to get some clear coat in which seems to need longer to dry before applying the eliminator fluid.

So far though I have to say I have been real impressed with the Langka product

Comment

Hey guys, need some help.

I struggled to get the Langka treatment to fill the last few layers of my stone chip so finished off with Dr Colorchip. I think I have the chip covered to the best of my ability now. You know what's its like, you think, just one more coat, and then promptly make it worse.

However, having done all this the Dr Colorchip is very dull and matt looking. Has anyone experienced this? and if so, how did you move a matt looking Dr Colorchip to a shiny bright finish?

Also, just how much, compounding and cutting do you think an area can take before the clear coat gets riskily thin?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');