• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying my first DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying my first DA

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, just would like to get some tips on the right ways to use a DA. I may pick one up soon. Home Depot online has the PC 7424XP on sale for $95, can't beat that. I was thinking about the Harbor Freight DA, took a look at it, didn't care for it. And for only $30 more I could have the Porter Cable, no brainer. I'd just like some info on how to achieve good results without inflicting holograms into the paint, what pads to use, already know what products to use, and how to clean the pads while I'm working if they get loaded up with product.
    A co worker may have me do some paint correction on his truck in the Spring. It has etched water spots all over it. Haven't been able to do a test area by hand yet on it, so I'm not exactly sure what it needs in order to be rid of the spots. It is a GM truck, metallic paint. Other than that, I'd just like a DA polisher to use for applying polish to my car. Polishing by hand I feel is ineffective because the polish dries up so quick and I'm not able to work it in as much as I'd like to. So just any tips on who makes good pads, who makes a good backing plate, and tips on how to use the DA correctly would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Jack

Re: Thinking about buying my first DA

Hey Jack,

The following links will be helpful in your case:

Introduction to D/A polishers:
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-(and-similar)

Product, pad and speed recommendations for D/A polishers:
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...lisher-Updated!

Backing plates:

Scratch removal:

Using a D/A polisher is very safe: no holograms (they're caused by rotary buffers), no paint burns (it's almost impossible to do it), much more effective and less fatigue than working by hand.

Comment

Jack,
      As the Nike folks say, just do it!
      I've been running a rotary since the 70's and I regret that I didn't pick up a D/A until about two years ago. I hardly do anything by hand anymore. In addition to compounds and polishes, you can apply wax, scrub tires and even carpets. There's an infinite amount of pads to choose from, but you can't go wrong with a starter kit with the three Meguiar's pads, compounding, polishing and finishing.
      Personally, I prefer a 5" bp, so you can use either the Lake Country 5.5" pads or the Meg's 6" pads. I also find I get a lot of use from my 3" bp and 4" Meg's black and yellow pads. Not only do they fit narrow spaces better, but you can also fit a 4" pad inside most paste wax tins. Also, before you invest a bunch of $$ in various compounds, pick up a bottle of Ultimate Compound. It's a very versatile and easy to use product that's available just about anywhere, a good starter compound IMO.

Bill

Comment

I agree with BillyJack. Just do it, because you won't regret it. I use the Meg's 6.5" Mirror Glaze pads on the same Porter Cable, with Ultimate Compound or Scratch-X, then Ultimate Polish, then Gold Class Liquid. The polisher is easy to get used to, and the amount of time and energy you'll save is astounding. You can't go wrong, especially for "hard" paint. I know it seems like a big decision now, but trust me, you will only be sorry you didn't do it sooner.
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I just have 1 question about pads. I have read you aren't supposed to use the burgandy meguiars cutting pad, or any cutting pads with a DA. Why would this be? Would UC on a polishing pad be able to remove water spots or swirls effectively? If cutting pads leave haze with UC, then UP on a polishing pad oughta clean that up, right?

Other than that, I think i have a good understanding of how to get a good setup going with a DA. Probably gonna go buy it later!

Comment

How does the Porter Cable compare with Meguiars own DA product?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack93 View Post
              Thanks for the advice! I just have 1 question about pads. I have read you aren't supposed to use the burgandy meguiars cutting pad, or any cutting pads with a DA. Why would this be? Would UC on a polishing pad be able to remove water spots or swirls effectively? If cutting pads leave haze with UC, then UP on a polishing pad oughta clean that up, right?

Other than that, I think i have a good understanding of how to get a good setup going with a DA. Probably gonna go buy it later!
              I don't know where you read that. If it were true, Meguiar's wouldn't be selling this kit:http://www.meguiars.com/en/DAPowerSystem/Compound

Personally, I'd do a test spot with a yellow pad first, only going to red if I was sure I needed more cut.

Bill

Comment

Using a D/A polisher with foam cutting pad has some down sides:

1. it may cause very intense haze, especially on soft paints, of course it can be removed by a polishing step but some unexperienced users may not know it,

2. on high speed setting there will be intense heat build up which may be dangerous for paint.

In most cases polishing pads are good enough to address most detailing/correction cases.
                If more aggressive approach is needed - I would go with DA Microfiber Correction System (fast and effective 2-step system).

Comment

I used the burgundy cutting foam pad on my PC and on a 2004 GM was barely getting results at on 5.5 with ultra compound. I followed that with the yellow polishing pad and ultimate polish and got a very clear on the clear. This was the first car that I've really needed that aggressive pad for, normally I use the polishing pad for both the compound and the polish.
                  Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack93 View Post
                    That's correct.

Meguiars doesn't like to recommend things that would leave a haze behind, because then the less experienced user may be alarmed, think its not working, not know what to do, etc.

But yes, if there was a haze (and can get a haze from other reasons as well), you would go milder to clean it up.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by HSD View Post
                      How does the Porter Cable compare with Meguiars own DA product?
                      The PC used to be Meguiars DA, so it certainly works fine.

Meguiars just developed their own DA a few years back, and has a little more power to it.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Those of you who have not used a DA, don't have one, and have lots of questions, you really need to watch the videos on the main Meg's site. Otherwise, it's too easy to make your decisions based on misinformation, BS, etc. A year ago I'd never used a DA, but I followed the advice in these videos, and now I swear by the DA multi-step process and Meguiar's products.

Anybody can slab on some wax by hand and wipe it off, but a DA process invites you to learn a skill. So, the speed settings, angles and pressure, product selection, working small areas, all make a big difference between a duffer who complains that something doesn't work and a professional job that looks spectacular. Your DA can also be used for hazy headlights and other polishing work.

For paint correction, I use the burgundy (with Ultimate Compound), yellow (with Ultimate Polish) and beige (with Gold Class Wax) Mirror Glaze Soft Buff pads using a 5-inch backing plate. First, I fully clay a clean surface. I then compound at a slow speed and repeat as necessary, as this is the most demanding and time-consuming step! I polish at a faster speed, and this step is much easier with a huge payoff, really the final finish which wax will protect. I wax faster still, but never at the top speed of the PC. Wax thus protects your clay, compound, and polish work, and should be very quick to lay down. I wait half an hour and buff off by hand. I rinse the pads out and store everything for reuse. You then protect this whole process you went through with regular touch-ups using Quik Detailer and Quik Wax, indefinitely, for weeks, months, etc, washing as little as possible, and so on. You do another full correction only when the car or a spot really needs it.

So, if you're on the fence, or maybe heard someone say otherwise, I'm here to tell you the DA is the best decision you'll make if you care about getting a great-looking, detailed, show car look. Just follow the video instructions
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I think the reason mentioned that a burgandy pad or any cutting pad could leave haze behind is why Meguiars doesn't reccomend it makes sense. Thats what I had read on another site and I took it that your not supposed to use those pads on a DA. If i encountered that issue I'd know how to solve it. UP on a polishing pad.

I may even look at a local sale for the older PC 7424, never used, comes with a few polishing and finishing pads and a velcro 5" backing plate for $150. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal.

Comment

Having started out with a PC7424XP, I would recommend to pass on it. Spend a little bit more and get a G110v2 or Griots Garage 6" DA. Having more power you can do heavy correction on speed 4.5 vs PC speed 6 with a lot of vibration. There was someone selling a used v2 in For Sale or Trade, you should definitely see if it's still available.

As mentioned by others, there's no need to worry about haze. You simply follow up with a polishing step. To say Meguiars doesn't recommend a burgandy/cutting pad doesn't make sense because the DA Microfiber cutting pad will haze more then foam.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');