• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish for a White truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish for a White truck

new to the detailing world but have been reading and researching on here for a few weeks.My Paint is white and in pretty good shape. With my truck being white would i be better off doing a 1 step on it instead of a multi-step, since the white will cover up alot to the eye. i purchased a 6" DA and also bought a 5" BP and 5.5 pads. i was considering polishing the truck with UC but im leaning toward getting some D151 and do a AIO on it. Would this be a good idea?

Re: Polish for a White truck

It depends what you're trying to achieve.

D151 is a great product that can save time by only doing one step. It has remarkable correcting ability for an AIO, which can be varied by your pad / speed / pressure combo. But it's protection won't last as long as a dedicated wax/sealant like Ultimate Wax or NXT.

Perhaps you can do the D151 for now, then apply a wax such as UW in 1-2 months..
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Esp when things are in good shape, a clay-cleaner/wax-wax detail is quick and easy, and gets most of the same looks.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies, im thinking im going to grab some D151 and go that route, and use the UC for spot correction in certain areas if needed. Will have to order it online. is there anything OTC that compares to the D151 that can be bought local and be close in comparison

Comment

White wax has some very good correcting ability. It is available OTC. If you like you can top white wax with NXT or Ultimate wax after 12 hours to add a little more protection.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by billyp1106 View Post
            new to the detailing world but have been reading and researching on here for a few weeks.My Paint is white and in pretty good shape. With my truck being white would i be better off doing a 1 step on it instead of a multi-step, since the white will cover up alot to the eye. i purchased a 6" DA and also bought a 5" BP and 5.5 pads. i was considering polishing the truck with UC but im leaning toward getting some D151 and do a AIO on it. Would this be a good idea?
            Like davey mention, what are you trying to achieve?

Hers'e my 2 cents on white! First you can't get a deep dark reflection out of a light colored vehicle and white being more of a challenge. Now what you can get is a shiny white paint and if you spend the time on the most important step with white (the cleaning step) you can achieve amazing gloss!!!

Now if you want the amazing gloss your going to have to spend hours on the cleaning step. I also preach to use the least aggressive product to get the job done but in this case and years of testing and learning new and different techinques, I say job straight to the Meguiars C2000 mild blue clay (cut into 3 evenly pieces and put the other 2 in a zip lock back and get as much air out as possible,seal up and put back into plastic tub/ and use the 3rd piece) If it takes you 4 hours to clay so me it! Just do a excelent job, take your time and go over the area as much as neccassary. And get your paint to ware it feels like a slick wet piece of ice!

Next get some M105 (REMEMBER TO PRIME YOUR PAD) and a foam cutting pad (orange LC pad/I beleive that is the brand you got?) speed 5 and remember to overlap your passes by 50% and do 4 or 5 cover passes or until your cleaner has turned somewhat clear, before you move on to you next section.And make sure you over lap your next area you'll be working on and move to your next 18''X18'' section. Also very very important on the cleaning step to keep your pad cleaned!!! By cleaning your pad on the fly and using a foam pad brush also compressed air if possible!! (Also for this step it helps to switch pads often times it wouldn't hurt to use 3 or 4 pads on the cleaning step)I use about 15lbs. pressure and use slow arm speed and most of the time I will go over the hood/roof/trunk the horizontal sections twice to make sure I get it the cleanest I can.

Alot of times after using the most aggressive cleaner, I like to step down in product and go to a cleaner/polish like M205 and switch to a polishing pad and lighten up on pressure and(again when switching to a new pad you need to prime it) and apply using the same technique. (remember keep them pads clean and it's best to use 2 polishing pads for this step)

Now since I have removed all the above surface bonded contaminants and the below surface defects, I need to add some polishing oils/resins back into the paint to fill in the pores and air pockets to keep out harsh solvents, acid rain and such and these things are what accelerates the deterioration process or in other terms oxidation! OK I know the M205 being a cleaner/polish has oils in it but since I'm after the whitest white and the most gloss I can get, I will go the extra mile and apply a pure polish into the paint and give it a quick back in forth motion and using a small foam applicator applying about 5lbs. pressure and just focusing on pushing the oils into the pores of the piant.

Time to lock all that hard work in! remember 2 very thin applications for even coverage and it looks better to your eyes!This is where everyone has there opinion on toping and layering but to me if I see a difference and I'M happy with it then it's what works for me. And I will apply a thin coat of NXT tech wax 2.0 and if at all possible wait the 12 hours for it to cure crosslink/bond to the surface then apply anther coat but on this application I will grab my favorite, M26 Hi tech yellow carnauba wax!

Now I know this is alot of work and to the extreame but if you want to make a DRASTICALLY!!! change and have another car to drive for a couple days, this will blow your mind when your done, the gloss will be so noticable you almost have a reflection like appearence.
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

That was an awesome post dude^ *thumbs up*

Comment

Really just looking to clean it up with a good shine, as it is a 2001 model but still in good shape..Dont really wanna spend 10 hours polishing 3 or 4 steps when i can get close to the same gloss with a AIO since with white you wont get the real wow factor as you would with darker colors. Thats why i was thinking maybe d151 might do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by billyp1106 View Post
                  Thanks for the quick replies, im thinking im going to grab some D151 and go that route, and use the UC for spot correction in certain areas if needed. Will have to order it online. is there anything OTC that compares to the D151 that can be bought local and be close in comparison
                  If you want OTC AIO's, you might want to try White Wax, ColorX or A12 Cleaner Wax. They're all good products, although they won't provide as much cleaning / correcting as D151.
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    If you want OTC AIO's, you might want to try White Wax, ColorX or A12 Cleaner Wax. They're all good products, although they won't provide as much cleaning / correcting as D151.
                    Yep---But clay first and then go to it with one of these AIO's. ColorX is great but is sometimes hard to find OTC. Make sure that you use a polishing pad and "work" the polisher like you were using a compound or polish. You may be surprised by the results.

Comment

is there something else that can be used as a AIO that corrects minor swirls or scratches that finishes well? Thinking this is the route im going to go since im only gonna get so much out of the white truck. Any other suggestions?.. looking at maybe one of these, d151,m66,swirlx (if it can be used this way),or Ultra Compound. I have looked at white wax but not sure if it would cut any and colorx really just cleans really well from what i understand.

Comment

SwirlX and UC aren't AIO's. You would have to follow them up with a wax/sealant.

I would suggest D151, but it's only available by the gallon, since it's a professional product. So that may be too much for you.

For an OTC product, I would go with White Wax. It does have some mild cut, as well as protection.

Comment

Agreed with the what was said up above. You could also clay, M205 and seal.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

For some added depth to white paint I would use #7 then top it off with finishing wax for protection. Have fun cleaning your white truck. White paint is so forgiving.

Comment

will try to get pics up to get a better perspective of what its looking like..not as good as i thought..lol

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');