• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help please

Hi everyone,

My very first post so a big hello to everyone here. Looks like a great place and I love the Meguiars range.

Well like so many newbs to rotary buffers, I have gone and put a bunch of holograms across my hood when trying to use it for the first time, surprise surprise :-) I'm trying to cut out all those typical Cobb web scratches that are all over my car but after reading and watching a million vids I thought I knew what I was doing. Clearly not.

So I have a 2006 Mk5 Golf Gti in Black.
    I'm using M86 Mirror Glaze Solo Cut and Polish as advised by the local paint shop.
    Medium orange foam wave pad
    followed the vids and settings on the bottle setting my variable to around 1500 rpm
    car was very clean.
    new pad was primed with m86 and a few sprays of water.

what I think I did wrong.

Possible way to much pressure on the bonnet to the point where the buffer was hard to control.

Can some one help me to make my gti look awesome again please .

Thanks.

I have a blk Corvette and use a PC7424XP with a LC pad and M105 / M205 . Never had a swirl. the learning curve on a DA is not as steep as a rotary . IMO the DA results are purdy dang good.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Comment

Re: Need some help please

Using a lot of pressure and an aggressive pad just won't finish well. If you've removed the defects, it's time to switch to a light polishing pad such as LC white or Meguiar's tan and very light pressure.
      Personally, I prefer to switch to a D/A for finishing, but it can be done with a rotary, as long as you're using proper product, pad and technique.
      Bill

Comment

Check this post by Michael Stoops for an explanation of the versatility of M86: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ht=total%20cut

Bill

Comment

don't use 86 it's not designed for todays paint.

holograms are common when using a rotary.
          Just polish them out.
          switch to 105/Ultimate Compound and 205/Ultimate Polish on a yellow pad.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');