• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a review, but used a different product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a review, but used a different product

This is not a review, nor are there any photos, but I just used a new to me product called HydrO2 from CarPro. Here's the steps I used:
    1)High Pressure rinse; 2)Foam and wash; 3)High Pressure rinse; 4)Dry, towel and leaf blow; 5)Polish D302; 6)wipe off D302; 7)wipe off using CarPro Eraser; 8)rinse; 9)Spray HydrO2; 10)rinse; 11)dry, towel and leaf blow

Had I used a synthetic wax:
    1)High Pressure rinse; 2)Foam and wash; 3)High Pressure rinse; 4)Dry, towel and leaf blow; 5)Polish D302; 6)wipe off D302; 7)wax; 8)buff off

Of course each step is done on sections of the car and not all at once, but fewer overall steps for waxing.

What did the HydrO2 save me in time? Perhaps none, since I polished.
    What will the HydrO2 save me in recoating or rewaxing, in the future. Perhaps none.
    How did it look compared to synthetic wax? Perhaps equal, but more shiny plastic hard looking. The D302 determines the look, mostly.
    Did it cost less? No, the HydrO2 is more expensive than wax and add the cost of Eraser, it's way more expensive.
    Is it easier than waxing? In my example, no. Wiping down with Eraser is the same effort as buffing off wax.
    I need just a little more product than the 3oz of HydrO2 concentrate I started with for my small 4 door crossover. So I further diluted when nearly done. (yes, bad Idea)

I can see the allure of coatings, although they seem to need recoatings for longevity, similar to synthetic waxes. Correct me if I'm wrong in that statement.

Do I think anything can hold up to the snow, ice, salt, cinders of this winter, no.
    Do I think I'm home with this miserable cold from getting wet washing cars, heck yea.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Being from Pittsburgh Pa myself, my thoughts for winter are:

Do a good clean, clay, sealant, carnauba in mid to late November. Then on those 2 or 3 weekend days between Jan and April that it's warm enough, do a hot water wash with quality car wash soap and follow it with Meguiars Ultimate Quick wax to keep things boosted to a reasonable level. There isn't much else I can do without a heated garage and floor drains.

I hook my hose to the garage laundry tray spigot and use very warm water and I fill my buckets with nearly all hot tap water to keep my hands from freezing. I pull into the garage and dry and do the UQW in the garage and let it set over night.
    Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Re: Not a review, but used a different product

Thanks for the review David.

Can I ask if your car has a coating on it?

I ask because I thought this product was supposed to be a type of booster for the Cquartz coating. Do they claim it can be used as a stand alone sealant as well?

Either way, I'm interested to see how long it lasts for you - this stuff almost seems to good to be true.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I am skeptical of anything that suggests you can have a mirror glossy vehicle without work.

Sort of like the exercise machines advertised at 3 AM "not available in stores."

There's a reason they're not available in stores--the returns would put you out of business.
        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Here's a video link for those not familiar with the product. http://youtu.be/5PRewO_3nso

Yes, it can be used a stand alone sealant. I believe durability is around 3 months. Feedback from many detailers is it saves them so much time on basic wash/wax resulting in more $$$.

Comment

Larry,
            Winter can be a bear without a heated garage or shop. I lucked out and rent an area in a shop with a wash bay with unlimited water and electricity and room temp of 55 degrees all winter long for a mere $100 per month. The owner is a heck of nice guy and allows me to use his four post lift. I'm in heaven, but I still run through a car wash depending where I'm at or how I'm dressed or if I'm feeling lazy or old.....
            Prior to that nice arrangement, I'd drive to a car wash with my buckets with screw lids filled with hot water, mitt and soap to hand wash in a manual bay.

Davey,
            No, I do not normally have a coating on my car. I usually use Ultimate Liquid Wax in the winter. Agreed, how can this HydO2 stuff last 3 months? In Iowa? No way. California, maybe. Sydney, if only I could test it there !!

Bill,
            Agreed about the glossy vehicle. A bit too skeptical for me to test that without polishing. So I polished before trying HydrO2. Then the surface must be free of polish, so I then cleaned with Eraser. Similar to alcohol, IPA, wipe down.

Soarer,
            That;s the video I watched before beginning. A few things to note in video, condition of car before starting, you can see HydrO2 change the surface tension when sprayed on the water, HydrO2 foams when washed off (kind of weird I thought, although perhaps related to the surface tension reaction).

Perhaps the time saved is in longevity, but I can't now comment on longevity and may not be able to as I'll machine buff in a month or so as winter finally comes to an end.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');