• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound / Swirl-X / Ultimate Polish - Removing holograms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound / Swirl-X / Ultimate Polish - Removing holograms

Hey Guys,

I have a question about polishing my car and I'd really appreciate some help from someone who knows more than I do.

So, the situation is this. I've just bought a 2007 metallic black Toyota Yaris, and usual story, someone in the past has got over enthusiastic with the rotary polisher and has induced holograms into the clear coat. They look very similar to these in the close up picture of the Merc's bonnet. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Swirls-By-Hand

I've just bought the Meguiar's Paint Restoration kit (which comes with the Ultimate Compound) and a separate bottle of Ultimate Polish for the final finishing prior to waxing.

My question is this. I'm concerned that the UC is going to be too aggressive on the paintwork, whilst the UP is not going to be aggressive enough (as it's for final polishing) Have I made a mistake by buying this combination of products and instead maybe should have gone with Swirl-X instead?

Can someone advise if I should go ahead and do a test with the UC and UP products and see how it comes out. Or instead, buy the Swirl-X and use that and then the UP to finish, forgetting about the UC entirely.

Thanks! Ben.

A test spot is a must... You don't want to do the whole car and be disappointed and start again. The best thing to do and what most pros recommend is to start with the least aggressive product first and check the results. If unhappy, then keep stepping up until you get the desired outcome.

Generally speaking, most stuff in the consumer line is fairly mild and newbie proof. Chances are you will need the UC and risk should be really minimal if you are working by hand. If by machine, as long as you aren't letting the machine sit on the paint in one spot too long, you'll be good.

Best of luck!

Comment

Also, UP and swirl-x together could be redundant. Both are polishes. If you do require the UC to correct, following with UP and then a good wax/sealant is a must.

Comment

Re: Ultimate Compound / Swirl-X / Ultimate Polish - Removing holograms

Yeah, are you working by hand or machine?

The combo is good though.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If the imperfections are like in that thread you linked, I would not hesitate to use UC. UC and UP are a good combo.

I agree with the above question. Will this be done by hand or machine?
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone. I should have mentioned, I will be polishing by hand.

I was out there for hours today, washing, drying and claying the entire car ready for the polishing and waxing tomorrow. (Need to seize the opportunity, the weather is highly unpredictable in the UK this time of year)

So I'll do what most of you suggest and try a test area first. I think I may use a combo of the UC and UP as some areas aren't that bad, like the roof.

I've really been impressed and surprised at the quality of Meguiar's stuff. Seems very easy to use, and even claying the car has produced good results.

I'll update this thread later with some before/after pics. It may help someone in the future. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd really like to hear them.

Cheers!

Comment

If working by hand, you may need to do a panel or two a day to really remove defects... have to work the UC in with some passion.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');