• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight restoration

Do you guys include restoring faded headlights in your details? Offer it seperate or not at all?

Separate charge for headlights. Just did a bimmer that took 2.5 hrs to fix the headlights.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

That would be a separate charge. Just like steam cleaning upholstery.
      Don't get caught riding dirty!

Comment

I was doing a $200 interior, engine, chassis, and mild swirl correction today and the guy showed me the lightly hazed headlights so I wet sanded them with 3000 and polished them with Meguiars plastic polish for free. They really were not bad and I spent maybe 10-15 minutes on them. He was thrilled as they now look new. If I was asked to do a basic clean I would up charge for it. I spent just over 7 hours on the car.
        Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Re: Headlight restoration

Thats what i usually do to, 2000 - 3000 grit then compound/polish, takes me about the same. I suppose maybe $25 or something extra fee?

Comment

Originally posted by larry0071 View Post
            I was doing a $200 interior, engine, chassis, and mild swirl correction today and the guy showed me the lightly hazed headlights so I wet sanded them with 3000 and polished them with Meguiars plastic polish for free. They really were not bad and I spent maybe 10-15 minutes on them. He was thrilled as they now look new. If I was asked to do a basic clean I would up charge for it. I spent just over 7 hours on the car.
            Sounds like you're really affordable.

If you do a really good job, think about raising your rates.

At the price you quoted, you're grossing $28.57/hour before supplies, licenses, fees and taxes.

Do you have any employees, or are you a one man shop?

Just curious.
            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

I price headlights as a add on. I used D151 on headlights as a test and did a good job. Went real quick using my PC.
              Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
              2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Comment

This I why I charge by the hour. I have spent 10-15 mins, 20-30 and then yesterday 2.5 hrs on headlights. Can't charge the 2.5 hr customer the same as 10-15 min customer.

Comment

At the moment my prices are still being adjusted. I work with customers personally just me and i havnt done so much work that "word has got ut" with my prices. So far im comfortable at 150 for a full detail, seperately 50 for interior, 100 for exterior taking about 3 hours total so about 50 an hour minus supplies i probably make 40-45 an hour. this includes thorough hand wash clay bar, polish and wax.

As far as headlights go i wuld never spend more than 30 minutes on them, if it requires more time they need new headlights. At the same time i dont claim to make headlights look new even thogh most come out pretty close, i claim to make them better which so far hasnt pissed anyone off. If anything theyre always very suprised. Most people i run into think theyre headlights cant even be restored or that its inside the lens and has to be replaced so theyre always very impressed with my work.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer:546296
                    Originally posted by larry0071 View Post
                    Sounds like you're really affordable.

If you do a really good job, think about raising your rates.

At the price you quoted, you're grossing $28.57/hour before supplies, licenses, fees and taxes.

Do you have any employees, or are you a one man shop?

Just curious.
                    Actually, I am working out of my home garage/shop. I am word of mouth. The guy who I did the Accura on yesterday has a "professional" detail each year. He was floored. He said he's never seen anything like what I did. Called me an artist and I think he may have wanted to hug me?

I realize that for the work I do, I can't get much under 7-8 hours for my standards run down. I can easily go 16-20 hours if the person will leave me the car from Friday afternoon until late Saturday.

I have a job, this is side money. I love doing it, and my family says if I don't start playing with other people's cars, I'm going to wear the paint off of all ours!

I put $400 cash in my safe over the last 2 weekends from doing something fun. This is the best hobby I've ever had!
                    Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Video View Post
                      At the moment my prices are still being adjusted. I work with customers personally just me and i havnt done so much work that "word has got ut" with my prices. So far im comfortable at 150 for a full detail, seperately 50 for interior, 100 for exterior taking about 3 hours total so about 50 an hour minus supplies i probably make 40-45 an hour. this includes thorough hand wash clay bar, polish and wax.

As far as headlights go i wuld never spend more than 30 minutes on them, if it requires more time they need new headlights. At the same time i dont claim to make headlights look new even thogh most come out pretty close, i claim to make them better which so far hasnt pissed anyone off. If anything theyre always very suprised. Most people i run into think theyre headlights cant even be restored or that its inside the lens and has to be replaced so theyre always very impressed with my work.
                      These are the lights I spent 2.5 hrs on http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-2005-BMW-535i

Comment

Looks good man!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');