• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

Hi all, I noticed many of you do detailing on the side or seasonally, do you get any insurance as a business, or just what you have on your personal vehicle and garage?

I was thinking of doing more detailing as a business, so more than just friends and family, but the insurance for a detailing shop can be over a thousand a year easily. It doesn't matter whether you're only doing it in the summer or on the weekend; it's the same price for the guy doing it now and then as the business doing it a lot. It isn't feasible for me to pay that much, but it'd be good to know I'm covered by something.

Any options, do you take your chances or just not drive the vehicle your detailing much, have the customer drop off or go-to them (mobile detailing)?

Re: Insurance

I dont have insurance, i take responsibility for any possible damages, however i do it safe. I dont use aggressive compounds, harsh chemicals and im careful to use proper techniques. Dont be afraid to communicate with your customers if your not comfortable doing something. Better to lose a detail then screw something up. For instance i try to stay away from headliners...if somebody had a bad stain on a head liner for some reason i would tell them i would try my best to gently remove what i could but that i couldnt promise anything.

For rims i only use ALL wheel and tire cleaners, non acidic. Dont be fooled by bottles that say All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, this is false a lot of times. On the back most times they say not for use on aluminum, etc. Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner is truly safe for all rims and actually does a good job.

For interior im careful around brittle plastics like vents etc. and i dont use any agressive brushes on carpet so i dont ruin soft upholstery.

But mostly its all up to technique, if your confident in your abilities you shouldnt have a problem. Before i removing trash double check with the customer that everything important is OUT of the car in case you accidentally throw something away thats important like a receipt they wanted to save.

When it comes to receiving payments i of course prefer cash but i personally will take a personal check but i carry around a booklet of receipts and i will fill it out appropriatly and have them and myself sign the bottom. Currently im about to get setup with my bank (Bank of America) to get a business account set up and they provide a device to allow you to swipe credit cards and have the funds put directly into the account. I would also get a receipt for this. Hope this helps!

Comment

Oh and mobile seems to be the way to go at least for where i live. At first i was going to do it out of my garage but everyone asks if i go to them and i say sure, and that seems to be the preference....so far i have only done one detail out of my garage but i leave it up to them. I try not to give people too many choices also...people dont like choices, being in sales i know this very well. People come in for wipers for instance and you start listing the 30 different kinds and you literally get nowhere, i ask them simply do you want good ones or cheap ones? And they ask prices and half will say good ones, half will say cheap and then i choose them for them, they dont care. They trust me to get them good or cheap ones.

Same for my business, i give them one price, $100 for cars, $130 for trucks. I tell them i do a complete detail inside and out and on average takes me 4 to 5 hours depending on the size of the vehicle. Keep it simple. I havnt had a single person ask me what i use for products, or go into specifics about what i clean. They only care about the end result, and that is what will decide if thewy hire you again or tell someone. I like to give them a quick tour after and show them the interior, have them feel the glassy paint, and show them areas like the door jambs they are often cleaned after. So for all happy customers.

I bring all the obvious cleaning supplies, a 50 foot hose, 100 foot extension cord, shop vac, container to put belongings in while i clean out the interior, trash bags for trash, zip lock bags for wash mits, applicators etc. to keep from cross contamination of chemicals, two linen bags one for clean microfiber one for dirty, carrying containers i got at walmart to hold the cleaning products, one for interior products/vacuum attachments, one for exterior products etc.

I keep it simple, i user microfiber towels for everything, and waffle weave for drying and foam applicators for compound and wax one for each. I use some heavy duty ones i found at bennies that are soft and washable. I let them soak on car wash and hot water and ring them out and let them air dry.

If i think of anything else ill post.

Comment

I should clarify I meant insurance for driving the customer's car, that's the main part I was concerned about liabilities coming up if there was an accident.

Thanks for the info on mobile detailing and the way you operate Video! I'll make notes on some of your tips on your pricing and supplies.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');