• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just some basic questions from a Newb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just some basic questions from a Newb.

Ok,

I just purchased a PC 7424XP(sorry Meguires, I got it on special from Amazon for 99 and I need to save some money), a Meguires 6.5" cutting pad, finishing pad and polishing pad along with Ultimate compound, polish, liquid wax and clay kit. Oh and their W67DA backing plate.

What I am working on is a 2001 Jaguar XJR, in British Racing Green(dark non metallic green), that I have owned since 06. Most people think the paint looks amazing, however I see the flaws and want to fix what I can. It has been buffed out twice since I have owned it(not by me), most recently 2007? Since then I have waxed her often but have accumulated scratches, bird drop etchings that I don't think can be removed and just some contaminants. Too is has been in storage for about 4 years without washing etc.

I just clayed it for the first time in its life and me being skeptical, couldn't believe the results, the clarity is incredible and although the clay did not get a lot of visible dirt(some, but not like some I have seen), the paint feels amazing! Although much of the junk has been removed from the paint, I can still see some stuff embedded in the paint that you cant feel. It looks like tiny little metal particles that are begining to rust, when I used the cleaner wax, it just about all goes away.

Ok for those of you still reading. What should I do next and what pads in order? Can I use the finishing pad for both the polish and wax?

Thank you well in advance! Ask any questions or make any comments that may or may not be helpful lol

Chris

Lets see 1st the burgundy cutting pad isn't recommended for use on a da. Only a rotary.
    As far as clay did u but the kit at the store? Sometimes u have to upgrade to a more aggressive clay. Meguiars sells a blue/ mild, red/ aggressive, and then the consumer/ white being the least agressive of the 3. Also the tiny rust like paricals that look imbedded in the paint is prob what they call rail dust I think.
    To combat that look into a product called iron x by carpro. U spray on the car and it changes colors to let u know its working.
    And finally if ur gonna polish, start with the yellow polishing ad follow up with black when adding ur wax. If u have some swirls or alot of defects then use the yellow with uc( ultimate compound) and then follow with polish and so forth.

Comment

Re: Just some basic questions from a Newb.

Yeah.. IronX/TarX, or TRIX, would be a good option. I might actually rinse, use them first, then wash, then go on with detailing.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I just searched that color. Indeed it's a great color. I agree you may need to decontaminate the paint with Ironx or Autofinesse Iron out or TRIX as Murr pointed out. If you just want to proceed after claying then use UC on a yellow pad and follow up with a polish to refine the finish and bring out the gloss even more. Then apply your wax of choice.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Murr and guz are very knowledgable, so whatever they say I would definitely consider their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Yeah.. IronX/TarX, or TRIX, would be a good option. I might actually rinse, use them first, then wash, then go on with detailing.
            Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            I just searched that color. Indeed it's a great color. I agree you may need to decontaminate the paint with Ironx or Autofinesse Iron out or TRIX as Murr pointed out. If you just want to proceed after claying then use UC on a yellow pad and follow up with a polish to refine the finish and bring out the gloss even more. Then apply your wax of choice.
            Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
            Murr and guz are very knowledgable, so whatever they say I would definitely consider their advice.

Thank you everyone!! I just looked at the paint again, and I think most of what I was seeing was dust. So I see a spot here and there, but not widespread like it was before so Im thinking the clay did its job(btw Jar, it was the weakest of the clays, white). With that being said, should I still use the IronX etc, or do you think its safe to go ahead?

Also what I said above wasn't clear. The clay got out a ton of contaminants, it just did not make the clay look dirty like you see in some examples. However it was picking up the metal as it was getting faint colors of orange to it.

And lastly(for this post can I use the finishing pad for both the UP and UW?

Thank you again,

Chris

Comment

Oh yes, after reading some other sections of this forum, am I going to have issues using the 6.5" pads? It looks like most everyone uses 5".....ugh

Chris

Comment

I would still get the iron x or trix is another one they sell that gets tar to. But there are alot ur not seeing with the eye and once u spray that stuff u will really see how contaminated ur car really is. Checkout iron x on YouTube.
                As far as pads with the pc da I'm not sure. The meguiars uses the 2.0 pads which are 7'' and the 2 units are pretty much the same. Plus I like the idea of the 2.0 pads being able to b just thrown in the wash.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBenz94 View Post
                  Oh yes, after reading some other sections of this forum, am I going to have issues using the 6.5" pads? It looks like most everyone uses 5".....ugh

Chris
                  You will be fine with that size. The reason others use 5.5" pads with a porter cable is to that the smaller pads allows one to take more advantage of the tools power. Just have fun and show us the before and afters once you get it done.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
                    I would still get the iron x or trix is another one they sell that gets tar to. But there are alot ur not seeing with the eye and once u spray that stuff u will really see how contaminated ur car really is. Checkout iron x on YouTube.
                    As far as pads with the pc da I'm not sure. The meguiars uses the 2.0 pads which are 7'' and the 2 units are pretty much the same. Plus I like the idea of the 2.0 pads being able to b just thrown in the wash.

Thank you, Ill go ahead and get some on the way!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      You will be fine with that size. The reason others use 5.5" pads with a porter cable is to that the smaller pads allows one to take more advantage of the tools power. Just have fun and show us the before and afters once you get it done.

That makes sense. Sorry to for being AWOL, got started on the car yesterday morning and finished right before dinner. I must be really slow, I spent 4 or so hours claying the car, and 8 hours using the UC and PC LOL

I noticed that the UC is not as agressive as I would like, or maybe it was the pad I was using(yellow). While it did remove a lot of very minor defects and swirls, some of the others are still there. Should I increase the speed and spend more time on the spot? It was also hard to let the machine work as I was trained on a rotary and it was hard not to move much faster.

Too I found the UP to more difficult to remove than the UC and had issues with streaking. Also since my garage is not very well lit, I noticed this morning in the sun some spots where there was still remnants left. Will that come off with a wash and my waxing? As well it looks like when I was removing it with the MF cloth it almost looks like there is directional wipe marks. Maybe I did not remove it all?

Thank you again guys!!

Chris

Comment

I will show after pics, unfortunately I was so excited about it, I forgot to take before pics.

Chris

Comment

BadBenz, I basically started with the same Porter Cable/Mirror Glaze kit as you, excepting only Gold Class wax instead of Ultimate wax. The burgundy cutting pad is great with UC/105 for a wide range of paint problems, and the yellow polishing pad with UP/205 is one of the great rewards in life. Of course, the beige finishing pad with your fav wax is the easiest step, just to lay on some protection for all the claying, compounding and polishing work. Happy correcting
                          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
                            BadBenz, I basically started with the same Porter Cable/Mirror Glaze kit as you, excepting only Gold Class wax instead of Ultimate wax. The burgundy cutting pad is great with UC/105 for a wide range of paint problems, and the yellow polishing pad with UP/205 is one of the great rewards in life. Of course, the beige finishing pad with your fav wax is the easiest step, just to lay on some protection for all the claying, compounding and polishing work. Happy correcting
                            Thank you, I will try ol red this morning and report back! It is fun to do this, just very time consuming.

Chris

Comment

That was what I was looking for!! Im thinking they dont recommend that pad because it is very aggressive, however, it works when you need it, but it is not as "fool proof" as the other pads. I now feel like I want to redo so many spots...but I just dont have the time. Im going to wash then wax her and report back.

Cheers!!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');