• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freak out moment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freak out moment!

Finally talked my father-in-law into letting me detail his 50th anniversary Corvette. It was spider webbed pretty bad. I used my megs da and the micro fiber system. I did a test spot and everything seemed a ok. Paint was hard as a rock but it corrected. Moved to the driver side door and pretty much did the whole door.(obviously not with one application). I stepped back and put two lights on it and it was hazy as hazy gets! I was freaking out. I had never encountered da haze. I frantically used the mf finishing wax and it took the haze right out!!!! Whewww

I've never used the mf system but I do know with a da or rotary u can get haze when cutting. The polishing step is what takes the haze if there is any. Overall how did it turn out? Did u get any pics for us?

Comment

I have corrected many cars. I have just never experienced haze before. I am awful at documenting my work. When I am completely done ill try to take pictures. But I will probably forget.

Comment

Re: Freak out moment!

DA haze can happen when an aggressive combination is used. Thus it is recommended to follow up with a polish such as D302, UP or M205 to remove DA haze and of course refine the finish. Sounds like you got it figured out by following up with D301.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Freak out moment!

Guz is right. Sometimes I describe it to folks like finishing a fine piece of wood. Start with a course paper, then medium and then fine grit paper. The course paper removes the majority of the defects, the medium removes the sanding marks from the course paper and the fine paper removes the sanding marks left by the medium paper. Some woods you start with a medium grit and the follow with fine grit.

Same with polishing a car. Your test spot shows you the least aggressive method to use to remove defects, but that method may leave fine defects called haze. Use a fine product to remove the haze. Often a hard Corvette it's 105 on a yellow pad followed with 205 on a black pad (sometimes a yellow pad). Microfiber it might be Correction Compound followed by Finishing Wax or Correction Compound followed up by 205 or 302 and then Finishing Wax.

Just curious what color was the Corvette?

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Maroon

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');