• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cat and swirl marks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat and swirl marks!

Hello,

How are you? This is my first post, so i hope you help me in my problem that it is driving me crazy, the problem is the marks that the cat of my gf did to my car, usually the cat jumped on my hood and made marks mainly in the hood and part of the roof.

There are three types of marks (swirl and cat marks) that i can see with two types of lights:

1.- Fluorescent lighting in certain angle (it is like a gas station light, i don't know if it is the same light in USA, when i go to USA i have never charged gas at night): with the cat marks I can see how the cat slid over the hood and roof.

2.- Sunlight, i can see three thin white lines.

So i would like to know what is the product i need to remove those marks, first i was thinking to try with ultimate polish and if that doesn't work try with ultimate compound, what do you think?

I am thinking to do is:

1.- Wash the car
    2.- Clay
    3.- Ultimate Polish or UC
    4.- Ultimate Quick wax
    5.- Ultimate quick detailer

and another question, it is about the way we applied all these products, i mean with the circular movement, is it possible to see marks of those movement in the clay in certain angle of the car when we finish all the process of maintenance? I'm wondering this because like i said before i can see how the cat slid in my roof and those marks are very very light in the clay that i can see with lights that i mentioned before.

Thanks for your help and i hope you guys understand my english.

Thanks!

Re: cat and swirl marks!

I betcha Ultimate Compound will remove those scratches. I use a terry cloth and a lot of pressure when working by hand to remove scratches. Terry cloth helps the compound to cut more and in my case, doesn't cause marring.

If if you want to remove swirls, you must purchase a dual action polisher.

Comment

You don't need to use the detailer after applying the wax. Just use detailer to help maintain the shine.

Comment

First off welcome to MOL.

You have the right approach with using the least aggressive product to start. UC will remove both swirls and scratches. UP may also be able to do it as it has a little bit of correction ability. Claying will not remove swirls and scratches but it will remove surface contaminants.

Are you going to do this by hand or machine? If you are going to do it by hand I would not hesitate to use UC. If you are using a DA then UP first and if you need more correction then go with UC. UP will refine the finish and then you can protect it with a wax of your choice.

To apply you can go in circular movements or straight lines. That is totally up to you as there is no right method. Same thing when using a clay. Straight line movements actually work better with clay as you arms won't get as tired. Just remember that UC or UP will clean the paint after claying. You also don't want to use crazy amounts of pressure when claying. Just enough to remove surface contaminants.

Good read for you if you are doing this by hand

One last thing, you could use ultimate quik wax as a stand alone wax protection but you might want to consider a more durable wax (ultimate wax, nxt, gold class, M26 etc..). Then you would use a combination of ultimate quik wax and ultimate quik detailer to maintain your wax until you are ready for your next correction.

Something like this.

1.- Wash the car
        2.- Clay
        3.- UC
        4.- UP
        5.- Wax (your choice)
        6.- Maintenance (ultimate quik wax, ultimate quik detailer or any other spray wax or detailer)
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Now i'm very clear how to apply the products and what products i should use, but i'm still having the same doubt about the mark in the coat i could generate with the DA or with the hand, i mean with those marks very but very light that you can see in certain angle with certain light. I am wondering this because you are polishing a layer in the car and should have the form you applied the product. is it possible?

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry man, I have no idea what you are talking about. However, if you are afraid of the ultimate compound leaving marks, or scratches in the paint, I wouldn't worry about it; this compound is not like traditional aggressive compounds that will leave marks in the paint, it finishes to a nice mirror finish. Machine application is the best for a more even compounding but hand work is possible for focussing on certain spots.

Comment

yeah it is kind of difficult to explain, what i am going to do test in a little part of the hood and i will see if the marks are there

Comment

ahh i will try to take a picture of my car soon, i need to clean it first.

Comment

Hi, i could not wait to wash the car, i uploaded a video with the scratches i mentioned before.

In the video you can see a hood very very very dirty :p because in Chile is winter and it is so difficult to clean the car every single day and i must to clean it this weekend, so if you start to see the video you can see a light, well this is the fluorescent tube, to see the scratches you just need to focus in the poles of the tub or ends of the tub.

This is "VID 20140625 230337" by Rick Hunter on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

you didn't see anything?
                  1.- In the second 11 in the left
                  2.- In the second 15 to 18 in the right

In the picture also you see in the left side of the light the scratches.

And i also take a picture with the scratch i want to remove

so, the question is: with ultimate polish can i remove those marks?

and if you see the car in certain angles it is possible to see the form of the application of the substance i am applying in the car.

and this is a final picture of my car, from this view not look so bad

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');