• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short work time with Meguiars Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short work time with Meguiars Polish

Ran into a problem today I had never run into before. Long time Meguiars user 40+ years. Was polishing paint temp 85 degrees inside the shop. I was getting maybe one to two passes on a 1 ft X 1ft area before the polish would dry out. I started with 105 figured OK try something else, then went to 205, same deal, finally ended up using Mirror Glaze #2 and getting it off with cleaner wax. I would do a 1 ft X 1 ft area, get 2 passes in and in the time it took me to put down the buffer and pick up a microfiber this stuff dried rock hard, it was like there was no oils in the polish. You could not work it so that you could do any cutting. You shoukd be able to get 5 passes on a 2 x 2 area but man this stuff was drying out way too fast. making it very difficult to remove. Is this common? I never remember having this problem before. Is there cure for it?
    Bill Strobel
    aka theamcguy
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Re: Short work time with Meguiars Polish

Temperature and/or humidity could be the issue. M105 has a short work time to begin with. If you over work it then it dries like concrete and it's a pain to remove. You could use a spritz of water or QD to extend the working time.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Short work time with Meguiars Polish

Could be the paint as well.

Some older, neglected, dried out paints can also cause your polish / compound to dry out. Not sure if that was the case here or not...
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');