• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches treatment

1.Hi all, would like to ask about fixing the minor scratches on my car hood.

I've been repainted a few spots of the scratches, and then I wet sanded with 1500 then 2000 grit. then I used ultimate compound to fix the sanding marks, the marks became lighter however there's still some scratches, not fingernail touch level, but obviously it's scratches like very light key scratches.

It's very tiring for me to rubbed it many times with UC, I wish there's any other product will work with those annoying scratches quicker.

The scratches are visible only when I walk closer. Is it work with deep crystal polish? I'm scared to use rubbing polish like the very abrasive one to hurt the clear coat further.

Professionals , please help! thanks.

2.Second and the last question is, how to avoid over sanded the repainted spot? what happened is I tried to smooth out the paint after I brushed the paint on it, and it kept over sanded and had to repaint it again and again, I didn't hurt the primer but just the base color coat. should I clay bar it? or use 3000+ grit to smooth it down gently? advises welcomed! or any products recommendation! thanks

Re: Scratches treatment

my situation is exactly like this one.

Comment

The 1st part answer is u can upgrade to 105. Are u using a da or rotary? The other option is u can try the mf pads with 300 which is a great option. As far as the 2nd question I'm not familiar with painting a car with a brush or roller so someone else will have to answer that.

Comment

I don't know about car paint per se, but I used to work with industrial paint, and I can't imagine you would ever get a smooth coat with a brush or roller. Too hard for the brush/roller marks to flow out.

Comment

Yes it is very difficult but couldn't find any factory paint in spray. and not willing to pay 250 bucks for only a small spot

Comment

Are you using UC by hand? If so, what type of applicator are you using to apply it with?

Comment

Terry cloth as applicator, microfiber for polish

Comment

The terry cloth could be inflicting it's own marks. The UC may be removing the sanding scratches and then the terry cloth (which is an aggressive applicator) is leaving its own marks. Try using a foam applicator pad with the UC and see if that clears up the finer scratches you're left with.

Comment

Removing 2000 grit sanding marks with UC by hand is always going to be difficult.

I'd suggest finishing with 3000 grit, that way the UC has less work to do.
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');