• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 Dodge EXTREME MAKEOVER!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Dodge EXTREME MAKEOVER!!!!!

Well guys, i finally did it, i spent about 8 hours on this car a couple weekends back knowing i would start showing it here and there. Paint was in REALLY REALLY bad shape - to the point anywhere my greasy finger touched car while i was getting it running, wouldnt come off paint, its like the paint soaked the grease and oil into itself. Well, luckily that all came out, and unfortunatly i dont have any recent pictures of its paint quality prior to detailing it, as i just didnt have the time that day and was rushed the whole day. Anyway, as pitiful as this sounds, heres the best pictures i have of car prior to detail - these were taken i believe spring of 2010 or 2011, and car had died later that spring - and not been washed or anything since these pictures. Anyway, heres link to initial thread on whit car with pictures. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l=1#post320779

Heres what i did for a process -

Wash: Dawn dish soap to TRY and cut grease off paint - no bueno.

Clay: Megs pro line blue clay bar

Correction: UC with yellow pad to SwirlX with yellow pad then black pad

Polish: M07 with black pad

LSP: Ult. Liquid Wax - would like to top with something else - unsure what.

Anyway, heres the final results.

Like i said, paint still has a LONG ways to go before im happy with it, probably need a rotary buffer and "rocks in a bottle" to get the paint bace to being a pure white and looking correct.

Heres some more pics i took after getting the car home from the show

and in case your wondering.....yes these cragar wheels are at LEAST 20 years old - probably older - and have never been polished until today, and yet they still came out looking like this via Megs wheel polishing kit. Will go over wheels again when off car and try to get them better and more even so theres no diff in shine from amount of polishing. Anyone know if megs offers like a "severe" wheel polishing kit? with possibly a wool pad or something thatll really cut the **** off these wheels?

Well there ya go guys, it was dead, but is now alive and heart is pumping good with a steady pulse and good blood pressure
    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Re: 1939 Dodge EXTREME MAKEOVER!!!!!

That's a fine looking "Older Gent" of a car there Zack!

As you say it's work in progress...but still a head turner.

Bill

Comment

Looks much better than before.

Does this car have single stage paint or base coat/clear coat?

If it is single stage check this thread out

Also you are asking about metal polishes, Meguiar's offers more than what comes with the wheel kit.

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

oh yeah.....forgot about that 3 step metal polish.
        Zach Hall

Comment

Looks good but needs a little bit of work. Definitely clean it up and give it a thorough detail inside and out. Also I would strip the front and rear bumpers and shine them up as that ls how the car came originally with chrome bumpers. The engine compartment could use a good detail as well. But overall it's in good shape, throw a little money at it and it will become a knockout. And were not talking about alot of cash either.

Comment

i agree, i want to strip bumpers badly, just not sure if there was a reason they were covered (pitting/rusting etc) the engine compartment would be a hard detail as a lot of it is old wiring etc. and would not really want to get much wet, also, engine itself is just not really able to be detailed as its all 75 years old, paint is coming off from 75 years of heat etc. ill get what i know i can get but thats about all id do.
            Zach Hall

Comment

Wow, that old beauty is starting to look pretty darned good. The thing is, every little thing you do to improve it, the more you'll WANT to do to continue down the "resto road". It'll be a work in progress and a labor of love that will hopefully bring you a huge sense of accomplishment and lots of joy! Keep up the good work and above all, keep it fun!

Comment

its truly a blast to drive, its not fast, its not loud but its just enjoyable. After getting it running again this spring/summer tonight is the furthest ive driven it this year "trouble free" it went probably a total of about 14 to 16 miles tonight, whereas the first time i drove it it went about 8 or 9 and stalled - ignition coil was bad - put new coil in it and it cruised down the road tonight like it was nobody's business.
                Zach Hall

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');