• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ULW vs Colinite 845 for winter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULW vs Colinite 845 for winter.

I have been PMing The Guz about my so called sloppy 845 application, letting him know about my funky uncured,hazy/swirly, curing, bake fest in sunny 85 degree weather.
    I did a quick 845 wax on my 04 black compg. I felt my M26 had seen its day and wanted something more durable until mid October. Under the M26 I had ULW.
    That's the best explanation I can think of and I am sticking with it!
    The haze gave in after 5 days of Ultimate detailer wipe downs. I did use ONRW&W after a rain followed by Ultimate detailer once.

My plan is to not really worry about swirls right now before winter, I will take care of all that in spring with M101.
    A wash with claying then Ultimate Polish is in the October prep plan for winter. Collinite has been the choice for the winter wax and seems to do a good job.
    The Guz mentioned, he read, ULW will last just as long as Collinite845 in a northern winter.
    I would be pleased, asallgetout, if ULW would do the same thing. 845 is great butttt kinda sterile in my eyes.

Does any Yankee have side by winter comparisons of 845 vs ULW??????
    If it is close I am going with ULW because my bottle of 845 is now gone and ULW looks way better.
    There will be ONRW&W for winter baths.

Re: ULW vs Colinite 845 for winter.

If you think ULW looks better then use it for this winter & see how the durability is in Wisc. After awhile everything gets passe, even 845. There are a few guys here from Minn., they may chime in on their experience with both products.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
      If you think ULW looks better then use it for this winter & see how the durability is in Wisc. After awhile everything gets passe, even 845. There are a few guys here from Minn., they may chime in on their experience with both products.
      With Collinite I have a guarantee, not really in the mood for a test. If I had a work vehicle, then yes.

Bottom line is durability over looks since it never really looks all that pimp in winter anyway.

Comment

Hopefully RPPM see's this. He's familiar with both products.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Collinite has great durability, looks decent. Does have a brighter look to it. Ultimate will yield deeper shine and may look better than Collinite, but since you're not really after looks, Collinite may be the better choice.

Comment

If you're not looking for a test then stay with what you're using. With your raving about ULW looking better than sterile old 845, it didn't seem durability was your main concern.

Comment

His concern is whether UW will hold up to the winter weather compared to his experience with Colinite. I would say 2 coats of UW will get him through the winter with a spray wax here and there. I forwarded this thread to Kris. Hopefully he can chime in on his experiences with both products.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've had great luck with U-Wax since it came out.

Disclaimer: Even during the winter (that's a BAD word) I try to get to the coin-op wand washer once a week and then use Ult Wash and Wax Anywhere when I get back home. So, I'm in essence, I'm giving the UW a booster all winter.

Bill

Comment

I have used both 845 and ULW extensively. IMHO, 2 coats of ULW will last every bit as long and protect as well as 2 coats of 845. Everyone has a different idea of what looks better. I won't comment on that. I do think the key is 2 thin coats of ULW about 24 hours apart. I would also not expose the car to any water for 24 hours after applying the 2nd coat of ULW.

Comment

A couple more thoughts come to mind. Collinite waxes, especially 845 can be prone to ghosting if applied in weather say above 80 degrees or so. Humidity also seems to make it happen. Have a warm, muggy 85 degree day and I would be surprised if it didn't ghost.

The other thing I want to mention, I would make sure you clay and either use a paint cleaner, or an AIO cleaner wax (preferably from Meguiars to make sure the products are compatible with the ULW) before you apply your 2 thin coats of ULW. I would not expect ULW to bond over what has been left on the paint.

My preference for Ultimate Wax is the paste version. I think it is easier to use than the liquid. A nice 4" pad fits in perfectly for DA application.

Comment

Bingo, thank you. That was a definitive answer.
                      Looks to me like a good prep(wash & clay) with some Ultimate polish, then a couple ULW coats will be the grail. Periodic spray-off at the you blast it followed by ONRW&W(since that's what I use) will be this winters regime.
                      Thanks for the feedback RPPM

Comment

forgot to say Big Thanks to Mike(aka The Guz) for being my go to, wax on wax off, Guru.

Comment

Thanks Kris for helping my buddy out.

Originally posted by Spazzz View Post
                          forgot to say Big Thanks to Mike(aka The Guz) for being my go to, wax on wax off, Guru.
                          Anytime. Glad I could help you out along with Kris helping out with his experience sing both products.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');