• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Blaster - M100 and Xtra Cut Disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Blaster - M100 and Xtra Cut Disc

Did 2 sets of Infiniti lights today. One set was slightly hazed and rounded with a few angles at the bottom. Started with 500 grit to get all of the old coating off then worked to 5000. Still had a few deeper sanding scratches that M100 and 3" MF cutting disk on the PC ripped right through and left a glass like finish. Went back over with a 4" polishing pad and M205 but no discernible difference. Wiped down with IPA and coated with Opti-Lens. Other than a few small deep dings and stress cracks it was a pretty good job.

The second set was large and flat other than a bubble at the bottom. Lots of deep scratches and a nasty haze over part of the lens. Moderate haze over the rest of the entire lens. Just for the heck of it I broke open my new 6" Xtra Cut Discs and primed one with M100 for the Flex 3401. Holy cow! The moderate haze and scratches were cut to light scratches and a slight compounding haze in 2 right-left-right passes with moderate pressure on speed 4. Some areas were already polished out fine. The nasty haze with deeper scratches was cut down to moderate haze/scratches. This was with no sanding. I tried 1000 grit on the rest of the bad strip but what was left was hard as a rock. Went back to 500 hand then 600 grit machine and back to M100/Xtra Cut. Only a compounding haze in small areas and a few small scratches. I had to finish the lower bubble area and side angles sanding by hand with 2000, 3000, then a quick run all over with 5000. I finished off with a run over them with M100 and an LC foamed wool pad. Perfection! If there was a defect left, it was too deep to sand out or was inside the lens. Didn't even think about a polish and went right to Opti-Lens.

If you know going in it'll take more than 1000 grit or foamed wool, Xtra Cut discs and M100 might just do it rather than sanding your way up from a heavy grit. 600 grit might even come out on some lenses. Maybe a quick polish after but the combo can finish with perfect results with a clean primed pad and light pressure/slow machine and arm speed. I probably wouldn't even try this on some models, like an SL500. Cutting the old coating on one of these with 600 was like trying to sand rusted rebar with rice paper. Overall M100 has become my go to product for some ugly stuff and may replace sandpaper in certain situations with the Xtra Cut Disc. Now I need a gallon of M100 and Meguiar's needs to make the Xtra Cut in 3" please.

Sorry. Wife has some pics on her tablet and will try to get them up a little later.

Comment

Re: Headlight Blaster - M100 and Xtra Cut Disc

Sounds like you did a great job..
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');