• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help removing swirls and swirls that are straight on glossy black.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing swirls and swirls that are straight on glossy black.

So I've cleaned my road bike and motorcycle wrong. So now there are swirls, and swirls that are straight ( I don't know what you call them). I don't know how to wash properly without causing too much swirls. I do know that before I attempt to use something to remove them. I have to clay it to make the surface smooth. But to remove the swirls and the swirls that are straight what would be recommended to use? Would Meguiar's Ultimate Polish work on removing the swirls?? Or should I use something a little more abrasive. Also how would I apply it? I was told to use circular motions and not straight lines and vice versa. I watched a video about it and he explains to apply wax on in straight motions because if it cause swirls, you would have to be at a certain lighting, certain height, and certain angle to see it. But if I do it in circles and it causes swirls, it would be circular and can be seen in any light, any angle, any height. The video was from AutoGeek and I dont know if that apply for fine polisher. Need advice and clear advice about what to do to remove the swirls! and what to use.

Re: Help removing swirls and swirls that are straight on glossy black.

Post some pics of the problem areas.

Comment

Are you doing this by hand?

You'll need to do a test spot with the least agressive product first, to tell you what product to use.

So start with UP on a foam applicator (assuming you're working by hand). If that doesn't remove the swirls, step up to something like UC on a foam applicator.

That should do the trick. You may then to apply UP if you need to remove any fine haze or marring left behind from the UC.

Then wax.

The straight lines vs circles is a myth. It doesn't matter in what direction you apply product because you shouldn't be instilling any scratches anyway. If you are, you're doing something wrong.

Also, have a search around here for correct washing techniques, to stop the swirls coming back
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
        Are you doing this by hand?

You'll need to do a test spot with the least agressive product first, to tell you what product to use.

So start with UP on a foam applicator (assuming you're working by hand). If that doesn't remove the swirls, step up to something like UC on a foam applicator.

That should do the trick. You may then to apply UP if you need to remove any fine haze or marring left behind from the UC.

Then wax.

The straight lines vs circles is a myth. It doesn't matter in what direction you apply product because you shouldn't be instilling any scratches anyway. If you are, you're doing something wrong.

Also, have a search around here for correct washing techniques, to stop the swirls coming back
        Wait so the circle or straight is a myth? I know I still have to clay my road bike and motorcycle. But would it be better to use Swirl X or UP? Instead of Ultimate Compound because I'm afraid it might be too abrassive. Note that one of my forms of transportation is a road bicycle with a really good paint job. Also is there any tips on waterless washing without instilling any swirls or scratches? and yes I'm doing this by hand.

Comment

UP has less cut than SwirlX, and more polishing oils for shine.

SwirlX has a bit more cut and less polishing oils. Either one would be fine as a start. Do you already have either or both? Just use what you've got on a test spot and see how that works. If you have both, or you have neither and have to go and buy some, I'd give preference to UP, especially on black.

Do a search for the "Gary Dean Method". That more applies to rinseless washing, but some of the same principles can still apply to waterless. Have you thought about going rinseless instead of waterless? Rineless is safer in terms of not instilling scratches.

Bucket washing with the "two bucket method" or 2BM (do a search) is the safest. Any reason why you don't bucket wash?
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

So if Ultimate Polish removes the swirls a little bit but I can still see it should I apply it again?

Comment

Originally posted by Derpwerp View Post
              So if Ultimate Polish removes the swirls a little bit but I can still see it should I apply it again?
              First off you can only do so much by hand. Don't let this discourage you. If they are still there you can try another application. But you could also go to UC if you want to make more improvement. Then go back over it with UP. You may want to consider M205 as it has more cut than UP. UP is derived from M205.

If the scratches and swirls are deep then UC would be the way to go. A test spot with the least aggressive product will tell you a lot.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                First off you can only do so much by hand. Don't let this discourage you. If they are still there you can try another application. But you could also go to UC if you want to make more improvement. Then go back over it with UP. You may want to consider M205 as it has more cut than UP. UP is derived from M205.

If the scratches and swirls are deep then UC would be the way to go. A test spot with the least aggressive product will tell you a lot.
                Wait is it possible to to use Swirl X and follow up with Ultimate Polish? I don't have a problem with that on my motorcycle. But my road bike, I'm afraid that Swirl X might be to abrasive. Although I did remember using Scratch X 2.0, and it did the job of removing minor scratches well and no damage. Im not sure.

Comment

Sure, that could work if the paint is on the soft side.

ScratchX is a bit more agressive than SwirlX, so SwirlX may or may not work.

Again, you need to try a test spot.

Comment

What products do you have on hand now?

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
                      What products do you have on hand now?
                      Well I am about to get Swirl X and Ultimate Polish.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');