• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or APC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or APC?

There are a lot of products, both consumer OTC or professional/detailer in a gallon dedicated to clean wheel, tyres, or wheel wells. Some are even designed to clean effectively on different surfaces. But over here these kind of products are not easily available and not so economical to be used on a long term basic (like weekly use, throughout entire year).

There are local manufacturers here that make their own degreaser and all purpose cleaner. These products are easily available to me and economical. They work and serve the purpose also. So I intended to use it as my routine product.

The puzzle I am having now is, after much thought, I still cannot determine which product (degreaser or all purpose cleaner) are best for the following 3 surface types:
    1) Wheel (my wheels are painted, clear coated, alloy wheel)
    2) Tyres (rubber)
    3) Wheel Wells (mostly plastic, some metal with black antirust coating material on it, all cars are the same I think)

I was using degreaser at 10:1 ratio for all three surfaces previously. It does get the job done. But recently I have been wondering should I switch to all purpose cleaner instead. I am from a tropical country so there is no winter here, it is either sunny or raining. I am not living close to the coast line neither.

So let me summarize, my question is: Which cleaner (degreaser or all purpose cleaner) is more suitable to be used on the wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, and why is that?

I am not asking to use one product for all three surfaces, can be a combination, example degreaser for tyres, APC for wheel and wheel wells, or even a mix of degreaser and APC in a bottle.

If degreaser and all purpose cleaner are really not so effective as a wheel, tyres and wheel wells cleaner, do let me know too, although my options are limited.

Re: Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or APC?

I think degreaser and all purpose cleaner are both alkaline in chemical property. Since brake dust is iron, it does not react with alkaline but easily react with acid, I am thinking I should find some acidic cleaner for wheel, but I have never come across acidic degreaser or acidic all purpose cleaner before.
    The only acidic cleaner I knew is Meguiar's Wheel Brightener but it is not easily available here, not really keen to use it as a weekly product.

Comment

Re: Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or APC?

Try APC on tires and wheels wells. I haven't used degreaser or APC on wheels so I can't comment on how well those perform. Hope this helps.

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Depending on your product of choice, you may be able to use a stronger dilution. D101 is my go-to APC, using it at 10:1 for general purpose cleaning and 1:4 for wheelwells engine compartments and wheels. I've even used it straight with a foaming sprayer for a once a year deep cleaning on my tires. As far as wheels, I consider the most important step to be protection, using either the most durable wax on your shelf for a few months protection or even Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier if you can get some, with protection for a year or more. Once you get them cleaned and coated, you can just use your wash mix, either rinseless or conventional for quite some time.

Bill

Comment

I think I need to clarify. When I write APC I does not mean the Meguiar's detailer line APC product. I am referring to a general all purpose cleaner from all brand, that means including Meguiar's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            Try APC on tires and wheels wells. I haven't used degreaser or APC on wheels so I can't comment on how well those perform. Hope this helps.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Wheel-Cleaner
            You mean to say the Meguiar's APC right?
            I can't justify the cost benefit of long term use (like a year) for All-Wheel-Cleaner because of its small volume. I prefer gallon size product, dilutable. But I do agree the All-Wheel-Cleaner cleans well.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
              Depending on your product of choice, you may be able to use a stronger dilution. D101 is my go-to APC, using it at 10:1 for general purpose cleaning and 1:4 for wheelwells engine compartments and wheels. I've even used it straight with a foaming sprayer for a once a year deep cleaning on my tires. As far as wheels, I consider the most important step to be protection, using either the most durable wax on your shelf for a few months protection or even Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier if you can get some, with protection for a year or more. Once you get them cleaned and coated, you can just use your wash mix, either rinseless or conventional for quite some time.

Bill
              Thanks Bill for the feedback.
              So you use APC instead of degreaser for wheel wells and wheel, is there a reason behind or simply personal choice? Do you also use APC for tires?

Comment

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Wheel-Cleaner
                This is all you need for degreaser. I think you misunderstood the idea behind me posting this to help you out.

Originally posted by scoutfai View Post
                You mean to say the Meguiar's APC right?
                Yes
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

This is all you need for degreaser. I think you misunderstood the idea behind me posting this to help you out.

Yes
                  Sorry Guz if I make you felt bad with my reply. I appreciate your posting and feedback.
                  I am trying to find an economical yet effective way to keep my wheel and tyres clean. Over here the most easily available and affordable thing I can get is degreaser and APC (both not from Meguiar's) so I try to figure out which one best suited for the job.

Comment

I'm not upset. I just posted that link so you can see that others have used degreaser on the wheels. As always just be sure it's safe on any wheel.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');