• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Detailing

This is a paragraph from a previous postI made, but I wanted to post it here so I'd get some responses.

I’d love to clean my engine, but am a bit nervous about doing so since water can’t get into certain parts. I would LOVE to get it done, though.

I’ve read a few how-to’s and most mention to cover this or that, but not knowing enough about the engine, I am unsure what exactly needs to be shielded from the water. Maybe someone could give me a hand in what needs to be protected if I post up a photo of my engine or at least a description? That way I’ll know for sure what is okay to spray and what isn’t!

Thanks!
    - Brian
    2006 Acura TSX with Navi
    Past: 1997 Honda Accord LX

I never use water to clean the engine on my vette (I just don't want to take the chance of messing things up). I generally wipe things down each time I wash the car.

But, when it does need a deeper cleaning I use Meguiars Extra. I spray it on and wipe it off. It cuts grease and oil pretty well. About a year ago I watched a Meguiars detailing video and this is the technique that was used. Works pretty well for me.

I don't think Meguiars makes Extra anymore, but diluted APC should also do the trick.
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

That's a great idea. Problem is, my engine hasn't been detailed. And it's a 1997. Whew.

Also, how do you get in the crevices? Seems like I'd really mess my hands up if I tried getting everywhere, never mind probably missing most of these small areas.

Thanks.
      - Brian
      2006 Acura TSX with Navi
      Past: 1997 Honda Accord LX

Comment

I use various detailing brushes or toothbrushes for getting into small areas. I also have a parts cleaning brush that I picked up at a local car parts store. You can get various sizes.

You might try one of the honda forums. Someone there has probably figured out the problem area's in detailing your engine and the best way to clean it.

Good luck!
        -Bob
        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I find that messed up hands will happen, though a pair of latex gloves helps.

I'm also an Extra user, though I wrapped up my electrical parts and rinsed the engine before spraying it down with Extra, then went to work with the brushes. Nice thing about Extra is that it won't damage rubber or plastic, so you can spray it everywhere.

Now, to put this in perspective, this was the first engine cleaning to my knowledge of a 1990.

Just remember to pull of the plastic covers on your engine and clean under them -- apparently they're great at accumulating hidden grime.
          "The reason men call cars 'she' is so they have one female they can claim to understand"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');