• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't polish Lexan Corvette Flying Roof Club (FRC) Major Damage Wet Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't polish Lexan Corvette Flying Roof Club (FRC) Major Damage Wet Sand

This is 2014 Corvette Stingray rental car

The roof was not properly secured and went flying

Damage is limited to the opaque section of the removable roof panel, which is made of Lexan

This is NOT the carbon fiber roof panel

The current battle plan is to dry sand with 3" discs.... P800, P1500 and wet sand with P3000 with a DA and 3M foam interface pad

Compound with M100 and polish with PlastX

Has anyone attempted a similar repair?

There seems to be some debate whether the top is solid Lexan or is laminated

There is also no consensus whether there is a clear coat or other protective layer over the Lexan

If there is a protective layer, these scratches are definitely all the way through it. If I isolate the area of correction as much as possible and coat the piece with a silica coating, will this prevent the remaining factory applied coating from peeling up?

OEM replacement is $2,100

Any help is greatly appreciated

Re: You can't polish Lexan Corvette Flying Roof Club (FRC) Major Damage Wet Sa

I'm interested to see how you go.

I have a feeling that those scratches are way too deep and all the way through the top layer (whatever it may be).
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Agreed with davey. Now u say u rented this car and this happened to u, or r u just being a repairman? If u rented the car then I would let them worry about it and blame them for not securing it properly.

Comment

Are you sure that part is Lexan? My good friend has a yellow C7 and that part is painted yellow.
        -Bob
        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

IMO, You only could to 2 things 1. sand by hand no machine with 1000 paper and go down or up dependens what you see and then polish it.
          2. im sure that is painted and clear coated, so it can be re painted

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');