• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol) Initial Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol) Initial Review

This is my initial review of the latest addition to the ultimate line. I'll add the photos first and my thoughts are below them.

Photo of the can.

The directions.

50/50. You can see how much this darkens the trim.

Afters

I started off by cleaning the trim to prep it to receive the UB trim coating. I used D114 as I was going to D114 the rest of the car after. Instead of APC, I used Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner with a Mothers small detail brush to remove any embedded dirt, grime and any remaining D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating. Was less messy this way than by spraying APC. I followed that up with some diluted IPA to remove anything that may have bee left behind by the Mothers trim cleaner. I taped off a area to give the 50/50 shot up above. As you can see it does darken the trim. It dries rather fast. I followed the directions and sprayed one light even coat. I did not buff off after letting it dry as it is stated to be self leveling.

With any aerosol, over spray is the enemy. With that being said, some did get on the lower portion of the glass as this is the front cowl of the windshield. I thought I had taped off the area really good but I apparently missed a few spots. I found it to be rather difficult to remove with IPA and a microfiber (as stated on the can) since it dried rather quickly. I had to use some polish and when that didn't remove it, I had to scrape it with a razor blade. It's a b!tch to remove from glass when it dries. I can see why this will last a long time. As I was scraping it with a razor blade it was more of a coating that a dressing like D4510 or even the lotion version of ultimate black.

A lesson learned for next time is to tape off and cover up all areas even better. I was polishing out the glass anyway to apply a ceramic glass coating to the windshield but it's still a pain in the rear to remove from glass. So my advice to anyone is to tape off any area that you may get over spray. This includes paint.

I also applied it to the front grilles of my car but with these I removed them off the car, only 2 screws hold each one and sprayed them off the car. This way I got not over spray on the paint. I'll post photos of these later as I needed better lighting.

Overall it's a nice product. It does take some slight learning to really get used to something like this in terms of taping off any areas to make over spray not be a major issue. That's the only con I have about it and it's not really a big con for me personally. For an average consumer this could be a big con if they don't really know how to use it and they are not as OCD as us on this forum in terms of prepping. I can't comment on durability and I will as time goes by. But I can see this being more durable. As I said it is more of a coating than a typical spray on dressing like D4510 or the lotion version of ultimate black. Thus making it more durable. The look is really nice. It's black with a little gloss. Making the trim look very good. The trim is in very good shape on my car so I can't comment on trim that has faded to more of a grey color. The self leveling seems to work very well. I didn't have to buff off any excess product. But it dries to the touch rather quickly.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Re: 2015 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol) Initial Review

Nice! It almost looks like the black plastic trim was sprayed with a very very thin coat of clear lacquer..

Comment

Yeah. I like the look of it. Looks nice and black.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Must prep like a surgeon. Check.

Comment

Nice review, looks like prep is a PIA.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

APC probably would have been fine but I wanted to be sure this thing was as clean as possible to get an idea of how durable it is. But masking off areas would be my tip to be sure nothing gets on the paint or glass.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

One quick addition to this was that I used one of these. They work great.

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

thanks for the great review...you just saved a bunch of people from a lot of extra work. I believe most would not be as concerned about how they tape off the area, but now we know to be extremely thorough on covering surrounding areas.
                -Bob
                NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

@Guz. What is that thing?^^ And what does it do?

Comment

It's a sprayer tool for aerosol cans. It's used to save your fingers from compressing the trigger on the can.

This should give you a better idea.

Here's a video of something similar.

CanGun1 Puts Pain-Free, Professional-Style Spraying Within Your Grasp!CanGun1 is a revolutionary new, patented pistol grip spray can tool that easily snaps o...
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

What'll they think of next...

Comment

Quick update. The coating is holding up well 55 days after the initial application on the plastic cowl on my car. It's survived rain and washes.

I have my brothers car for the next 2 weeks as he is on vacation. Ended up using this on the grilles of his car.

Here's a couple before shots. They were looking pretty sad. Took them off the car to not worry about overspray. 2 screws and these are out so that's not bad.

After

Here's one of one grille done and the other not.

Ultimate black darkened these up really good.

Back on the car looking good.

99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Looks like you had great results on that grill.^

Hope you don't mind if I add my results/quik review to your thread?

I applied the new UB Trim Restorer Aerosol to the trim of the 04' Tacoma just over 6 weeks ago now...

This is how it looked just prior to taping off and applying it.

This is how it looked today.
                          Note: Front wheel trim was done with UB Spray.
                          Rear wheel trim was done with UB Gel.
                          Same day, 6 weeks ago. See the difference?

[Btw, I polished the truck with a fresh coat of D151 today. But thx to white paint, it doesn't serve the proper justice through these pictures. Lol]

My following thoughts on this product are solely based on just 1 experience so far, but as far as those perticular trim pieces around the tires, I found that I wasn't quite able to get the ideal results I was hoping for.

It took multiple applications for the trim to darken to the level I usually get from just 1 application D4510 and even UB Gel. And when it finally reached the level of darkness I was looking for, I had applied it so many times that it was running in some areas.. It dries fast enough, which is a good thing, but once it dried it also seemed to fade a bit, which lead to more spraying, and more chance of the product running.

Here's a closer view. You can see how I wasn't able to get it to level out.

Meanwhile, UB Gel was the usual breeze to apply. A couple of passes and it was level as can be. And while it's not as black as it was 6wks. ago, IMO it's aging quite gracefully.

Final thoughts: The UB Spray seemed to work better with the rest of the trim on the truck. But for some reason it just wouldn't agree to play nice with those wheel pieces.. And yes I prepped all the trim meticulously with D101.

Could just be a funky match between the product and that perticular surface. I've found some trim [i.e. Running boards on a Honda Pilot] that would seem to soak up UB Gel and dry up within a day.. I'm interested to try it on a different vehicle, because I still find it's promised longevity appealing.

Thx 4 reading..

Comment

I picked up one of these...http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...294245932&rt=d

works great for making off areas...
                            Mike Sommer
                            FirehouseDetail.com
                            Facebook.com/FirehouseMobileDetail

Comment

Pretty neat tool.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');