• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol) Initial Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol) Initial Review

Quick follow up. Gave the car a 2 bucket wash today instead of a rinseless and I am happy to report back that ultimate black is still on the front cowl. It's been on that piece for 3 1/2 months. Still looks like day one. Beading and sheeting is good. Other than the tough time I had when initially applying it in this area (overspray on glass), it's doing very well.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the review and follow up Michael.

Those front grilles look great. That's the same application I want to use the UB for if/when I get it. I'll definitely take them of first!
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

4 month update

-Trim still looks black
        -Noticed no fading
        -Still holding up very well

A couple photos of the drizzle beads on the surface that has UB aerosol.

99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

If I was going to the trouble of removing the trim from the car I'd go for this: http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-trim-paints , otherwise that looks like a nice product.
          2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by Hellspawn View Post
            If I was going to the trouble of removing the trim from the car I'd go for this: http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-trim-paints , otherwise that looks like a nice product.
            That's a nice product. Well the good thing is I didn't have to remove the cowl piece. The grilles is 2 screws. Took longer to prep than to remove and reinstall. I didn't want overspray like I had in the glass on the cowl.

My number 1 recommendation is to mask the area prior to using it.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Mike, that looks like a lot of trouble (unless charging by the hour ), which has to be repeated several times a year. I use the lotion UB, and love the soapy scent. However, it can wash off in one rainstorm if it doesn't cure well enough and smears below where water runs - very frustrating. Does the spray do that?

Also, maybe I've had the bottle too long, as it seems to wear away faster and faster now (I use a cheesecloth and get great finish results, cleaning up edges with GCQD). It used to last months, it seemed, but now I seem to get only days out of it.
              Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
              4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
              First Correction | Gallery

Comment

You guys do realize that this started off as an initial review to test this product. From here on out it's updating to document it's longevity and performance. This product is not for everyone.

I don't know where charging has come up as this is on my personal car.

I have not noticed any streaking with this or the lotion version of UB. The aerosol version dries to the touch pretty quick. I always lightly buff the lotion version to remove any excess product. Prep is the key with both. Clean the trim with APC. I use a Mothers detailing brush to scrub the trim. It allows the product to be absorbed into the plastic and last longer.

By the way there is a new version of the lotion version

99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yes, a review thread typically involves product comparisons and side issues, like the difference between removing a bunch of trim to spray it vs wiping on a similar product, and the difference in shine and longevity between the two I was joking about charging, as you and I both are only doing our own cars. I'm surprised you haven't seen the run-off streaking with UB, as it happens no matter what procedure I've tried. The streaks are very oily and sticky and hard to remove. So, given all that, I was asking how the spray version compares. Eldorado's pics seem to indicate the spray version is shinier and more durable, but I thought you'd have more input.

Comment

This one's just for you dude. Took these as I was wrapping up some paint correction work. I'll get better pics in the day light shortly. These will have to do for now. I''ll let the photos speak for themselves.

I had this extra piece of trim laying around. It was very dirty so I cleaned it with some D114 I have in a spray bottle to initially remove the dirt it's collected. I followed up with D103 APC+ and the red Mothers detailing brush. Followed that up with D114 once again to remove any residue from D103.

This is 1 coat of ultimate black (updated 2015 lotion version) and 1 light coat of the aerosol version. Both dried to the touch.

Side by side comparison

UB Aerosol

UB (2015 lotion version)

UB Aerosol close up

UB (2015 lotion version) close up

It also works on grey. I did this engine cover just for kicks a couple weeks ago. This is off a 96 Buick Regal with about 110K miles on it.

Before

After

99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for doing that. I also use UB on anything plastic (like engine bay parts), and some paint (like my windshield wipers). Definitely looks like the spray gives more pizazz, but the obvious downside is either repeatedly masking or removing trim on a regular basis, and that's just out as an option for me, even if there is supposedly no run-off streaking with the spray version. I appreciate the trouble you went to, Mike.

Comment

@TheGuz. Looks good. How much D103 do you have left?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                          @TheGuz. Looks good. How much D103 do you have left?
                          I have 2 1/2 gallons left of D103. I stocked up as soon as I heard it was going to be discontinued. It's such a great APC.

This is interesting. I let this piece sit outside overnight and it appears the lotion version has darkened quite a bit. It doesn't have the sheen that the aerosol version has.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Very interesting!

They both look about the same now color-wise, but the aerosol has more of a shine.
                            Originally posted by Blueline
                            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

This was a Great, Detailed, and How-To for these products. And also a lot of time and effort put into it.

Thanks for doing this Michael!

Like one guy said, this saved me a Ton of trial and error knowing that I have to tape everything off really good.

Question? Can the Ultimate Trim Restorer Aerosol be used on the tires, or ONLY the Ultimate Black Tire spray should be used.

Have a good one dude!

Ray

Comment

Hopefully Nick can answer that question.
                                99 Grand Prix
                                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');