• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Ultimate compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Ultimate compound

So tried to do the 5step car care system today but wasnt really happy with the results. Heres what i did

1. washed car with plain water because already used Meguiars wash n wax 1day ago

2. clayed with clay kit

3. used DA polisher and orange compound pad speed 6 ( both from harbor freight) with somewhat ok results

And i stoped here due to time. While cleaning up I noticed a lot of foam debris so i used Quik detailer to remove, while doing this i noticed car had a foggy like look to it and i could see scratchs still. Did i do somthing wrong? Help please!

Re: Meguiars Ultimate compound

You didn't have to rinse the car the next day. You could have used a quick detailer to remove the light dust if there was any on the car. Just a tip for next time.

The pads from harbor freight are junk pads. You have experienced the common problem with them shredding and shredding off the backing plate shooting across the room. I highly recommend you invest in better pads. Check out the new Meguiar's thing foam pads or Lake Country Flat Pads. Also invest in a better backing plate than the one that comes with the HF. Preferably a 5" backing plate. It's not a bad machine once you fix those two things.

As far as your technique you should not need to be using speed 6 on the machine. Speed 5 is plenty when working with it. The heat generated at that speed is probably what caused the pads to start shredding.

You stated the paint looked foggy. It sounds like you are experiencing DA haze. Did you follow up with ultimate polish on a polishing pad? That should take care of it. The remaining scratches sound like RIDS. You may have to live with those. Especially if it's a daily driver. You could remove them but you would have to get more aggressive.

Where in CA are you located?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Tnx The Guz. I live in san diego and this time of year the weather here doesnt really help. Cold in mornings and no clouds/warm evening. So i used a EZ up

As far as the pads and backing plate i am in the process of purchasing lake country pads and Bp from them.

Got dark outside so didnt finish polish or wax. Hoping to do this today by hand since my DA will jus rip a new pad if bought.

Question. Since i left a hazy and fog like look on car would it be safe to use ultimate compound again when i purchase news pads,bp (1 week time)?

Comment

I also made the mistake of not cleaning pad after every section/sections. So pad was really filled with product. I used 1pad for hood sides of hood. 1pad for door panals and back. Which i read was a mistake as well.

Comment

If you were closer I would give you a hand that is why I asked where you were located.

You could use it with the new pads. Are you trying to remove those deeper defects? Do you have photos to see what you are working with?
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

As said, make sure your always working with a clean pad , can't stress that enough.
            Also , speed six is over kill IMO, works the compound too fast, try speed five, slow arm speed on the first pass with good pressure, lighten up on your next 2-3 passes with faster arm speed.
            One more thing I should say is keep your working area small, less is better than more.
            I prefer working a 16x16 area , works better compared to a 2x2 area.

It it may take a little longer to get the job done but you'll get better results and will also make for an easier job.

Comment

Where are you located guz?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry90 View Post
                Where are you located guz?
                I'm near the Torrance/Redondo Beach area.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');