• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner trying to repair stone chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner trying to repair stone chips

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to say hi to everyone. Great community and people over here.

I have a couple of stone chips on my truck, and before taking it to the paint shop I have purchased some meguiars gear to try and repair them myself..
    Anyhow, I bought some 2500grit and 2000grit sanding paper. Meguiars D/A power system, M105 polishing compound and Ultimate Polish to finish off.

First I cleaned the stone chips from wax etc with a degreaser, after what I went down the route of mixing the clearcoat with the base coat. Filled the stone chips and let it dry for a week.
    After what I went ahead and started wet sanding. I got the hood to look quite good, still have a couple of scratches from sanding, but I think I will be able to buff that out with the UL and the D/A power system. I just went over it by hand with a foam pad and M105 finishing off with UL (by hand).

There were a couple of bad sports which are on corners and I think I went through the clear coat. I have added some pictures, what do you guys think?

Re: Beginner trying to repair stone chips

Wet Sanding scares the **** out of me... I generally use the Langka or Dr color Chip method then I follow up with m205

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');