• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prevent rust during Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent rust during Winter

I realize i probably cant 100% avoid rust, but id like to keep it to a minimum. Any here successfullykeep there car mostly rust free during winter from the salt roads? Not including using rubberized undercoating or por15 etc.

Ive been trying to power wash the underside as much as possible, usually once a week. I cant tell if its working yet. I have heard that its worse to get metal wet then introduce salt, however if the metal is dry salt is not so much an issue, its the combination of water and salt that kills.

Re: Prevent rust during Winter

It's a concern here in PA too. I've got a clean enough car now as my DD that I've been doing some research on the same subject. I'm likely going to go with POR15, since I've used it enough over the years in different applications to know that it's all but bulletproof, but it's going to be a long, involved project over the summer, when I can pull my Camino out of hibernation and drive it while the DD is up on jacks. One product that I've read a lot about, including numerous favorable reviews is Fluid Film, essentially a lanolin-based, penetrating grease, available in either bulk or aerosol cans. It's not permanent like POR15, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, KBS, etc., but should last at least through one winter. A lot of folks in Canada and the Northern Midwest U.S. have their undersides sprayed with waste oil every winter. Probably works well, but it's not for me. Do some research on Fluid Film and you may be impressed.

Bill

Comment

Ive used eastwoods internal frame coating, east woods rust encapsulator, then sprayed fluid film over all of that. I plan on spraying fluid film everywhere each fall.
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Granted it's not as good as the above mentioned chemicals, but I buy a gallon of WD40 and spray everything I can get to with it ... door jambs, under the hood, trunk lid and rocker panels. Then maybe half-way through the winter if I get a clear/dry day I will respray the areas (without cleaning them so that way I get a build up of dirt and WD40). IME salt doesn't work when the car is covered in a WD40 paste.
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

i've been Krown Rust Proofing my DD car every September and washing once a week at a coin-op wash

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');