• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax with DA Power System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax with DA Power System

I'll be using DA Power system to do the polish and waxing tomorrow after prepping the car with clay.

Looking for advice on applying Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax with the DA Power System's.
    For Polish I will be using DA power system yellow pad and black for wax.

1. Do I need to apply Ult. Polish in small sections, then wait for 3-5 minutes and wipe off with microfiber? for example. divide the hood in half,
    wait 3-5 min. wipe off and do the other half. Same with doors - do upper section, wipe off and then do lower section of door etc.

or

2. Can I apply polish to whole car and come back to my starting point to wipe off with microfiber?

3. Can I apply polish to chrome trim, windows black vinyl, sunroof, windshield etc? Glass I'm not sure?

4. For Ultimate wax, I plan on doing section by section to yield max. results. Wait overnight and apply 2nd coat with DA power system.
    Can I use DA power system to apply Ultimate wax on chrome trim, logo stuff, windows, black shinning vinyl on door, windows etc ?

Thanks for your advice!

Re: Applying Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax with DA Power System

These threads should help you out.

Meguiar's Quik Tips Video Series - The DA Power System

Meguiar's Quik Tips Video Series - Ultimate Liquid Wax - A New Application Experience
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the link.

3. Can I apply polish and wax to chrome trim, windows black vinyl, sunroof, windshield etc? with the DA system?
      Glass I'm not sure.

Comment

No to polish or compound on the trim. Both will stain trim. I'd probably stay away from vinyl with it as well. You can use ultimate liquid wax on trim and chrome as the liquid version will not stain trim. The paste version will stain trim. Another option is using ultimate quik wax on the trim and vinyl.

I have not used ultimate wax on glass. I have used ultimate quik wax on glass which worked fine.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          No to polish or compound on the trim. Both will stain trim. I'd probably stay away from vinyl with it as well. You can use ultimate liquid wax on trim and chrome as the liquid version will not stain trim. The paste version will stain trim. Another option is using ultimate quik wax on the trim and vinyl.

I have not used ultimate wax on glass. I have used ultimate quik wax on glass which worked fine.

Ok thank you,

There are very fine swirls or scratches on chrome trim and black shining vinyl between driver door and passenger doors (you know where driver door window and passenger door divides. it has black shinning vinyl). How do I get rid of fine scratches from black shinning vinyl? I thought polish can get rid of these.

So I will use following steps:

1. Clay on whole car including windows, windshield, chrome trip, vinyl, lights, logo etc. - Pretty much everything.
          2. Section by Section Polish with DA power system just on metal car body (hood, front body, lower door sections and trunk part) - skip the windows, sunroof, windshield, chrome trim, black vinyl, light etc. Wait 3-5 minutes and wipe off with Microfiber.
          3. Section by Section Wax with DA Power system just on metal car body. Apply Wax on chrome and vinyl. Follow by Ult. Quik wax on chrome trim and black vinyl. Wait 3-5 minutes and wipe off with Microfiber.
          4. Clean all glass - windshield, Sunroof, doors windows, and rear window glass with Sonax or Meguiar glass cleaner. Then seal all glass with Ult. quik wax.
          5. What do you use to clean and seal lights fixtures e.g. front light, fog light, brake lights. I assume those are made out of plastic.

Car is silver color - 2015 X5

Thanks again!

Comment

You should Not wait 3-5 min. before wiping off Ultimate Polish. You cannot allow that to dry on your paint. It should be wiped off immedietly after turning off your machine.

Same for Ultimate Quik Wax.

Comment

I can't see your photo here on my work PC so I'm going by what you wrote. My comments are in red. There may be other from some of the other members.

1. Clay on whole car including windows, windshield, chrome trip, vinyl, lights, logo etc. - Pretty much everything.

This sounds fine. On your windows you can seal them with something like rainx after claying to make them easier to clean and to repel water.

2. Section by Section Polish with DA power system just on metal car body (hood, front body, lower door sections and trunk part) - skip the windows, sunroof, windshield, chrome trim, black vinyl, light etc. Wait 3-5 minutes and wipe off with Microfiber.

Yes you want to use it to polish the paint. There is no wait time to remove ultimate compound or ultimate polish after you have completed your passes on the paint. You don't want to let them dry on the paint because it will be difficult to remove the product from the painted surface.

You can also use ultimate polish to polish out the tail lights and headlights as it will remove any light defects in them. If the headlights are yellow with oxidation you can use ultimate compound.

3. Section by Section Wax with DA Power system just on metal car body. Apply Wax on chrome and vinyl. Follow by Ult. Quik wax on chrome trim and black vinyl. Wait 3-5 minutes and wipe off with Microfiber.

This sounds good.

You can either apply ultimate wax to the entire car and then come back to the place you started and begin removing it.

The other application method for ultimate wax is applying it panel by panel waiting 3-5 mins before removing. You can do this all around the car.

It is totally up to you. Remember to apply as thin as possible to make things easy for you.

Following up with a final wipe with ultimate quik wax is fine on the paint. Is the trim vinyl or plastic? If it is plastic you can use ultimate black

4. Clean all glass - windshield, Sunroof, doors windows, and rear window glass with Sonax or Meguiar glass cleaner. Then seal all glass with Ult. quik wax.

I answered this under number 1 but you can use ultimate quik wax on the glass as well. Be sure to completely remove it or the wipers can chatter on the glass. This is one of my favorite videos on glass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4WwOrkgXlc

5. What do you use to clean and seal lights fixtures e.g. front light, fog light, brake lights. I assume those are made out of plastic.

I answered this under number 1 but you can use ultimate wax or you can use headlight protectant (recommended to be applied every 6-8 weeks) on the headlights. Ultimate wax would be fine on the tail lights as well. What matters is that you want some protection on them. Once you notice the beading and sheeting becoming less noticeable it's time to reapply.

You can also use plastx to clean and prep the headlights.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Agreed, do not wait before removing UP. Work it in until it goes clear (NOT dry) and remove immediately.

- Clay pretty much everything except black vinyl trim (the unpainted, textured kind). If it's shiny plastic like B Pillar (between the two doors), you can clay that too.

- You can polish pretty much everything except black vinyl trim (the unpainted, textured kind). If it's shiny plastic like B Pillar (between the two doors), you can lightly polish that too.

- If you're using ULW, you can wax pretty much everything.

- The B Pillars and headlights / tailights can be polished and waxed too.

- Glass can be polished and waxed too.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

"Black shinning vinyl on door"
                  Do you mean the plastic door pillars? That black plastic that's in between the front/rear doors? If it's shiny black plastic, yes. If it's matte black, no.

I would allow Ultimate Liquid Wax to stand alone, and not top it with Ultimate Quik Wax until the 3rd or 4th wash. -Just my 2 cents

Comment

Thanks everyone for the reply.

My X5 is brand new. Not any major or minor defects on the paint. Just dust or other particles on the paint. Actually car was sitting on the lot for more than a month waiting for trucking. I got it from NY and shipped to Seattle.

I started claying today. Half done on the car (hood, front and 2 doors including windows are done). Just the other side and trunk is left. Will start polish tomorrow follow by wax.

btw after clay is done, it's silky smooooooth.

I can't see your photo here on my work PC so I'm going by what you wrote. My comments are in red. There may be other from some of the other members.

This sounds fine. On your windows you can seal them with something like rainx after claying to make them easier to clean and to repel water.

Yes you want to use it to polish the paint. There is no wait time to remove ultimate compound or ultimate polish after you have completed your passes on the paint. You don't want to let them dry on the paint because it will be difficult to remove the product from the painted surface.

You can also use ultimate polish to polish out the tail lights and headlights as it will remove any light defects in them. If the headlights are yellow with oxidation you can use ultimate compound.

This sounds good.

You can either apply ultimate wax to the entire car and then come back to the place you started and begin removing it.

The other application method for ultimate wax is applying it panel by panel waiting 3-5 mins before removing. You can do this all around the car.

It is totally up to you. Remember to apply as thin as possible to make things easy for you.

Following up with a final wipe with ultimate quik wax is fine on the paint. Is the trim vinyl or plastic? If it is plastic you can use ultimate black

I answered this under number 1 but you can use ultimate quik wax on the glass as well. Be sure to completely remove it or the wipers can chatter on the glass. This is one of my favorite videos on glass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4WwOrkgXlc

I answered this under number 1 but you can use ultimate wax or you can use headlight protectant (recommended to be applied every 6-8 weeks) on the headlights. Ultimate wax would be fine on the tail lights as well. What matters is that you want some protection on them. Once you notice the beading and sheeting becoming less noticeable it's time to reapply.

You can also use plastx to clean and prep the headlights.
                    Thank you Guz, Appreciate it!!

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                    Agreed, do not wait before removing UP. Work it in until it goes clear (NOT dry) and remove immediately.

- Clay pretty much everything except black vinyl trim (the unpainted, textured kind). If it's shiny plastic like B Pillar (between the two doors), you can clay that too.

- You can polish pretty much everything except black vinyl trim (the unpainted, textured kind). If it's shiny plastic like B Pillar (between the two doors), you can lightly polish that too.

- If you're using ULW, you can wax pretty much everything.

- The B Pillars and headlights / tailights can be polished and waxed too.

- Glass can be polished and waxed too.
                    Thank you!

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                    "Black shinning vinyl on door"
                    Do you mean the plastic door pillars? That black plastic that's in between the front/rear doors? If it's shiny black plastic, yes. If it's matte black, no.

I would allow Ultimate Liquid Wax to stand alone, and not top it with Ultimate Quik Wax until the 3rd or 4th wash. -Just my 2 cents
                    Thanks!

Yes, it's shiny black plastic. Glossy finish, silk smooth.

I will apply light Ult. Polish with pad.

Comment

Let us know how you go!
                      Originally posted by Blueline
                      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Now I can see your photo on my home PC. The side pillars look like painted plastic. If they are, then you can treat them just like paint. I would try with what was recommended about using some UP on them. Same goes for the chrome trim. Try a little UP on them as well.

I would definitely pick up something for the trim (grilles, below the doors to protect it and keep it looking good for a long time. You can use ultimate black if you wish to stay with Meguiar's or my personal favorite Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. A little on the expensive side but worth it for the longevity of months(about 3-4 months here in California). Ultimate black should last you about a month here in California.

Post some before and afters.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                          Let us know how you go!
                          Will do,

Now I can see your photo on my home PC. The side pillars look like painted plastic. If they are, then you can treat them just like paint. I would try with what was recommended about using some UP on them. Same goes for the chrome trim. Try a little UP on them as well.

I would definitely pick up something for the trim (grilles, below the doors to protect it and keep it looking good for a long time. You can use ultimate black if you wish to stay with Meguiar's or my personal favorite Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. A little on the expensive side but worth it for the longevity of months(about 3-4 months here in California). Ultimate black should last you about a month here in California.

Post some before and afters.
                          Thanks Guz, will post pictures before and after the effect.

I will take a look at Ult. black. I'm going to use Ult. Lqd. wax for now and followed by Ult. qk. wax. (found old sealed bottle of Ult. quick wax in my garage with other Meguiars products)

It's lease and already spent on wash, wax, detail stuff close to $200) but again, I'm treating this as my own car

Comment

It does say on my bottle of ULW....NOT to use it on Vinyl, Plastics......

So I'm at a lost here.....

Comment

Originally posted by KidDetailer View Post
                              It does say on my bottle of ULW....NOT to use it on Vinyl, Plastics......

So I'm at a lost here.....

Hmmm, Sounds like they may have changed the label some (?).

Reading mine (4 years old about), it only says, "...without leaving white residue on plastic/rubber."

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');