• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chainsaw Plastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaw Plastics

Don't know if this is in the right section, but it seemed the most relevant to my topic. I'm restoring a 371xp chainsaw, and don't want to buy new plastics. The current ones are all discolored. I want to make it look new, with the shine and everything. I've read everywhere and can't find a good answer on how to do it and which ones look best. You guys must know a bunch about bringing plastic back to life, so any suggestions?
    Thanks, Matthew

Re: Chainsaw Plastics

Got any pics?

Is it black plastic, or colored?

If it's black plastic trim, you could try a dressing such as Ultimate Protectant.

If it's colored, try a mild polish like UP, or a cleaner wax.

In either case, clean the plastic thoroughly first and do a test spot.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's orange like the one pictured. It's not the actual but it's a little cleaner as far as dirt goes. Do you think if I sanded down to a new layer of "fresh" plastic with increasingly higher grit sand paper and then put some sort of polish or compound on it would it be good? I just read that I may have to clear coat it, but don't want to because I'm going to use the saw a bit and the clear probably won't hold up.

I want to get it to a look like this...

Thanks again, Matthew

Comment

I'd say there is a chance.. pics would be great.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well, I made a post yesterday, but it didn't seem to go through. Anyway, It's orange plastic like pictured. They're not actual, but just like it. I just read that I may have to sand down to a "new" layer of plastic with sand paper, and then put a compound of some sort and then clear-coat it all. I want to avoid the clear coat as It may not hold up too well.

The goal is to get it like this

Comment

Originally posted by Coutu View Post
            Thanks for the reply. It's orange like the one pictured. It's not the actual but it's a little cleaner as far as dirt goes. Do you think if I sanded down to a new layer of "fresh" plastic with increasingly higher grit sand paper and then put some sort of polish or compound on it would it be good? I just read that I may have to clear coat it, but don't want to because I'm going to use the saw a bit and the clear probably won't hold up.

I want to get it to a look like this...

Thanks again, Matthew
            As long as the actual plastic is colored all the way through, and it's not just paint, I think you'll be fine with that approach. It would be a good idea to test it on an inconspicuous area first..
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Okay, I'll try it on the bottom of the tank first. I'll probably work my way up to 2000 or 2500 grit. And it's colored all the way through so no worries there.
              What sort of compound and what method would you recommend after sanding, assuming I don't clear-coat it? Or do you think a compound won't shine it up permanently like the second picture? I will clear-coat if need be, but I want to avoid that all together.
              Thanks, Matthew

Comment

Id say a compound could be tried first, line UC or 105.

Comment

Good point. Yes, try a compound like UC first and see how that goes. It may well be enough to do the job without having to sand.

If you do need to sand, I would finish with 3000 grit, and then use UC as your compound (pending a test spot of course).

My feeling is the shine may not last and it will oxidise again eventually (especially if stored outside), but no reason why you couldn't just polish it up again!

Comment

Thanks. Time will tell on whether or not it'll last. How long would you safely say it would last just asking? I don't mind doing it over every so often, but if it's going to be a second job, then that's another story.
                    What's is the best way to apply the UC? Could I use a cotton buffing wheel on say a drill or...?
                    Thanks for the info, Matthew

Comment

Can try a bit by hand and terry cloth.. then a buffing wheel.

No need to be too gentle.. And compound should stay milder than sanding to start.

Comment

Okay thanks a lot for your help you guys we'll see how it turns out!

Comment

Keep us updated!

Comment

Will do thanks

Comment

Interesting project. Any updates?
                              2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');