• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Thickness Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Thickness Tools

I would like to purchase a paint thickness tool that measures the thickness on most cars, any suggestions or experiences on models and where to purchase?

Do a search for "ETG".

I think that will answer many of your ?s.

Jim
    If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Paint thickness gauge
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Thanks,

What I found is

There are several options and they do make an instrument that can measure both metal and aluminum.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we use this model in our Training Classes,

Electronic Thickness Gauge :: ETG-A ::

Just a note, this thread is going to be moved to the Hot Topics forum as questions about this tool come up often and this thread includes two links to the tool.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Probably was because that model measures on metal only, the ETG-II will measure on both metals

Comment

It is a valuble tool to have.

I recently had a BMW with four areas that had bird dropping etching. To repair the damaged areas would be an additional cost.

I showed the client and explained to him about the thickness of clear coats and what is safe and unsafe to do. Then I broke out the PTG (paint thickness gauge)and measured the defects to verify that they had never been sanded before and that there was plenty of material to work with.

With the help of the PTG I was able to upsell a $160 detail to $240.
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                It is a valuable tool to have.

With the help of the PTG I was able to up-sell a $160 detail to $240.
                And there you go...

Investing in quality tools doesn't cost you money, it makes you money!

Thank you for demonstrating this principal with a real-life example in the course of your day-to-day professional detailing business Joe!

Check out Joe's website here,

Superior Shine

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just one comment, don't buy the cheap magnetic thickness gauge. It won't give accurate readings. Go ahead and buy the electronic ETG.

Comment

ETG

That is what I ordered although I opted for the instrument that measures both

Comment

Please don’t forget that this device measures the total film thickness. It doesn’t say anything about the thickness of each individual layer. Basically there are two or three coats on the car, a base coat, the color coat and the clear coat (not all cars have this last coat). The only way to determine the thickness of each individual layer would be a destructive test, were you can view each layer and measure its thickness.

Comment

Re: Paint Thickness Tools

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                        Please don’t forget that this device measures the total film thickness. It doesn’t say anything about the thickness of each individual layer. Basically there are two or three coats on the car, a base coat, the color coat and the clear coat (not all cars have this last coat). The only way to determine the thickness of each individual layer would be a destructive test, were you can view each layer and measure its thickness.
                        How think anyone layer is isn't that important.

Use the gauge to measure the finish before you work on a car. The readings will give you an idea if it has already been buffed or repainted. After a few years in business you will get an idea of what is normal.

Also if your going to do defect removal you will wan to use the gauge to measure your progress.

The idea is not to remove more than .3 mils of material.

Comment

I found this movie on paint thickness gauges, and I found it interesting. The gentleman in the movie shows a couple different models, then gives a demo.

the website is trying to sell you the gauges (so it isn't a unbiased movie), but the info is great. His motivation for using a Paint thickness gauge is to detect areas that were repainted (detecting old cases of accidents).

It is amazing that these things can be so precise. good luck

-nick
                          Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                            This is on my list of things to buy. This is one serious tool. There is no question that the more skilled and knowledgable you are, the more you can demand.

Comment

paintthicknessgauge.net

INFO:
                              Paint thickness gauge are promoting their products.
                              Paint thickness gauge in the instrument of this site,
                              you can see the price and features.
                              By comparison between the products you can find the right product.

Last edited by Markus Kleis; May 6, 2010, 12:39 PM. Reason: No hyperlinks before 30 posts

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');