Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

Registered Member

Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

I've been working at fixing rotary buffer swirls on my car (dark blue). I've been using the M105/M205 combo on a test spot but I'm still seeing faint swirls when shining the light at just the right angle on them. Now I'm thinking it might be easier (and safer) to try to use a filler on them instead considering how faint they are.

From what I've read, the Meguiar's #7 is a glaze that contains a good amount of fillers in it. Is there something even better than #7 for this purpose, or even something I could follow up #7 with before waxing?

Re: Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

What kind of pad are you using? Foam or wool? What speeds are you running the buffer at? Do you have access to a DA polisher?

#7 is a good glaze primarily intended for use on single stage paint, but I have seen it used successfully on BC / CC paints. You MUST follow up with a sealant or the #7 will be washed off the first rain or car wash
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What kind of pad are you using? Foam or wool? What speeds are you running the buffer at? Do you have access to a DA polisher?

#7 is a good glaze primarily intended for use on single stage paint, but I have seen it used successfully on BC / CC paints. You MUST follow up with a sealant or the #7 will be washed off the first rain or car wash

I'm using foam pads with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a speed setting of 5 (about 5300 OPM's). I've been using the Meguiar's M105 with the Hex Logic Orange Pad, followed by M205 with Hex Logic White. I still see light scatches/swirls after M205 (given they are very faint).

What sealant would you recommend after?

Quote Originally Posted by MNcaddy View Post
    I'm using foam pads with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a speed setting of 5 (about 5300 OPM's). I've been using the Meguiar's M105 with the Hex Logic Orange Pad, followed by M205 with Hex Logic White. I still see light scatches/swirls after M205 (given they are very faint).

What sealant would you recommend after?

How is your hand speed and pressure? You might try one more pass with lighter pressure and slower arm speed, that may get rid of the swirls. As for the sealant, my favorite at the moment is Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax, it goes on REAL easy and thin and buffs off like a dream. And from the indications I'm seeing so far on my car, it's lasted all winter with no upkeep.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"

That combo should have eliminated the rotary installed defects. You are probably seeing RIDS. You may have to live with those as they require more work. Are the major defects removed (ie rotary holograms)?

You could use M7 and fill them in but they will be back after a short time. As far as a sealant you can't go wrong with either Ultimate Wax, M21 or NXT.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That combo should have eliminated the rotary installed defects. You are probably seeing RIDS. You may have to live with those as they require more work. Are the major defects removed (ie rotary holograms)?

You could use M7 and fill them in but they will be back after a short time. As far as a sealant you can't go wrong with either Ultimate Wax, M21 or NXT.
    The holograms were removed, but there is a pattern to these scratches, I would describe them as having a curvature almost like a parentheses turned sideways ")". They don't show up when shining a light directly on them, it has to be from an angle.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Would using a good quality sealant like M21 after followed by a synthetic wax lock in the fillers in M7 longer?

Registered Member Meticulous-Detail's Avatar

Ultimate Paste Wax has great filing capabilities.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

I think I've seen things like this before, they're kind of like buffer trails from a DA. Could you have gotten something on your pads that scratched the paint slightly? I still think you should go over the area again with a clean pad and M205 just in case.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"

I guess to answer the Op's question would be something other than Meguiar's products. LOL
    BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information