• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

I've been working at fixing rotary buffer swirls on my car (dark blue). I've been using the M105/M205 combo on a test spot but I'm still seeing faint swirls when shining the light at just the right angle on them. Now I'm thinking it might be easier (and safer) to try to use a filler on them instead considering how faint they are.

From what I've read, the Meguiar's #7 is a glaze that contains a good amount of fillers in it. Is there something even better than #7 for this purpose, or even something I could follow up #7 with before waxing?

Re: Best Product for Filling Micro Scatches & Marring

What kind of pad are you using? Foam or wool? What speeds are you running the buffer at? Do you have access to a DA polisher?

#7 is a good glaze primarily intended for use on single stage paint, but I have seen it used successfully on BC / CC paints. You MUST follow up with a sealant or the #7 will be washed off the first rain or car wash
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
      What kind of pad are you using? Foam or wool? What speeds are you running the buffer at? Do you have access to a DA polisher?

#7 is a good glaze primarily intended for use on single stage paint, but I have seen it used successfully on BC / CC paints. You MUST follow up with a sealant or the #7 will be washed off the first rain or car wash

I'm using foam pads with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a speed setting of 5 (about 5300 OPM's). I've been using the Meguiar's M105 with the Hex Logic Orange Pad, followed by M205 with Hex Logic White. I still see light scatches/swirls after M205 (given they are very faint).

What sealant would you recommend after?

Comment

Originally posted by MNcaddy View Post
        I'm using foam pads with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a speed setting of 5 (about 5300 OPM's). I've been using the Meguiar's M105 with the Hex Logic Orange Pad, followed by M205 with Hex Logic White. I still see light scatches/swirls after M205 (given they are very faint).

What sealant would you recommend after?

How is your hand speed and pressure? You might try one more pass with lighter pressure and slower arm speed, that may get rid of the swirls. As for the sealant, my favorite at the moment is Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax, it goes on REAL easy and thin and buffs off like a dream. And from the indications I'm seeing so far on my car, it's lasted all winter with no upkeep.
        Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"

Comment

That combo should have eliminated the rotary installed defects. You are probably seeing RIDS. You may have to live with those as they require more work. Are the major defects removed (ie rotary holograms)?

You could use M7 and fill them in but they will be back after a short time. As far as a sealant you can't go wrong with either Ultimate Wax, M21 or NXT.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            That combo should have eliminated the rotary installed defects. You are probably seeing RIDS. You may have to live with those as they require more work. Are the major defects removed (ie rotary holograms)?

You could use M7 and fill them in but they will be back after a short time. As far as a sealant you can't go wrong with either Ultimate Wax, M21 or NXT.
            The holograms were removed, but there is a pattern to these scratches, I would describe them as having a curvature almost like a parentheses turned sideways ")". They don't show up when shining a light directly on them, it has to be from an angle.

Comment

Would using a good quality sealant like M21 after followed by a synthetic wax lock in the fillers in M7 longer?

Comment

Ultimate Paste Wax has great filing capabilities.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

I think I've seen things like this before, they're kind of like buffer trails from a DA. Could you have gotten something on your pads that scratched the paint slightly? I still think you should go over the area again with a clean pad and M205 just in case.
                  Don
                  12/27/2015
                  "Darth Camaro"

Comment

I guess to answer the Op's question would be something other than Meguiar's products. LOL
                    BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                      I think I've seen things like this before, they're kind of like buffer trails from a DA. Could you have gotten something on your pads that scratched the paint slightly? I still think you should go over the area again with a clean pad and M205 just in case.
                      Its from a rotary buffer (hack that detailed it... long story). I'm going to try again tonight with m105 & a yellow pad/smaller work area, then with m205 with a white pad. If that doesn't work and I still see faint swirls, I might try going over it with #7 and a softer pad to see if the results are acceptable.

Comment

How are your wipe off towels? Terry, microfiber? How clean are they, etc.

Comment

The holograms were removed, but there is a pattern to these scratches, I would describe them as having a curvature almost like a parentheses turned sideways ")". They don't show up when shining a light directly on them, it has to be from an angle.
                          Sounds like you are getting tick marks. Or it could also mean the defects are pretty deep and the paint is on the hard side. Which may mean you might need to go with a microfiber pad or the new thin foam cutting disc. Do you have any photos?

Would using a good quality sealant like M21 after followed by a synthetic wax lock in the fillers in M7 longer?
                          M21 is a synthetic wax. It will lock in M7. M7 won't cause M21 to not stick to the paint and fall off.

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
                          Ultimate Paste Wax has great filing capabilities.
                          This is another good option. As I said you can go wrong with any of Meguiar's sealants (aka synthetic waxes).
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Sounds like you are getting tick marks. Or it could also mean the defects are pretty deep and the paint is on the hard side. Which may mean you might need to go with a microfiber pad or the new thin foam cutting disc. Do you have any photos?

M21 is a synthetic wax. It will lock in M7. M7 won't cause M21 to not stick to the paint and fall off.

This is another good option. As I said you can go wrong with any of Meguiar's sealants (aka synthetic waxes).

Microfiber pads is what I"m thinking I'll try next if I'm not satisfied with the filling option. I'm looking at the two Meguiar's cutting discs (cut & xtra cut).

Comment

Sounds like you are getting marring from polishing With the D/A.

What is the make, model, color?

How much 205 are you using for each section?

How many pads do you have?

Are you cleaning the pads after every section pass?

Are you priming your pads before using?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');