Removing old wax / sealants question. Isopropyl alcohol yay or nay

Thread: Removing old wax / sealants question. Isopropyl alcohol yay or nay

Registered Member

Removing old wax / sealants question. Isopropyl alcohol yay or nay

So after watching a couple of videos from autogeek, Mike Phillips recommended using 10% diluted isopropyl alcohol to remove polish after a swirl removal procedure.

Also in another autogeek video (showing how to do a rinseless wash) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICbdJocUI4 a couple of your guys at Meguiars mentioned using D114 to remove any prior waxes, so you have a clean base to start with. Whereas the D115 includes a little wax in the wash.

Anyway this leads me to the question. Should we be removing any previous wax / sealant applications?

I know Meguiars wax's says its ok to apply a new coat of wax over a previous wax. But maybe that just applies towards meguiars over meguiars... What about if the car was previously waxed or sealed with an other than Meguiars product ?

Or is a clay and megiuars quik detailer (which may contain the same properties as D114?) sufficient enough to remove any previous wax / sealants ?

Re: Removing old wax / sealants question. Isopropyl alcohol yay or nay

If you are going to polish that will abrade the surface so that previous wax, sealant or coating will be removed. IPA is typically used to remove polishing oils after polishing. It's been mentioned on here that D114 at 6:1 can be used as an IPA replacement which in my opinion would be safer than IPA as D114 has more lubricity. It's a good way to check your work. At 6:1 it will strip off any wax.

If you are staying within the same family say Meguiar's polishes and a Meguiar's wax/sealant then I would not worry to much about removing the polishing oils. As Mike Phillips would say it's about synergy staying within the same family.

If you are going to clay or polish, it will abrade the surface and remove any wax, sealant or coating. As far as I know Quick Detailer and D114 do not contain any related properties. But I don't work for Meguiar's.

Registered Member

Thanks, so would you all agree that 10% IPA is a good dilution ? D114 is $35, whereas IPA is a $1, (maybe even less if i have some in the cupboard lol) so leaning towards IPA for now.

D114 is so worth the price to be honest. It's very versatile. I have used 15% IPA on a test hood but not on my actual car. It seemed to work just fine.

Registered Member DasBurninator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    D114 is so worth the price to be honest. It's very versatile. I have used 15% IPA on a test hood but not on my actual car. It seemed to work just fine.
    Agreed. So versatile, and it is by far the best rinseless on the market.

I've been using D114 with IPA mixed in with it. It allows for removal of polishing oils without being grabby like IPA is by itself.
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...e-Express-Wash

Also this thread is a great read on the topic of sealant and wax bonding:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...t-bonding.html
    Last edited by DasBurninator; Apr 3rd, 2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Correcting a link

Registered Member

70% IPA off the shelf

Buy a bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol at your local grocery and simply mix it 50/50 with distilled water. Simple, economical.

Thread Information