• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best (consumer line) prescription for light colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best (consumer line) prescription for light colors?

Ok, we picked up an 03 Subaru Baja in december. Now that it's finally getting warm out, it's detail time. I know what works for my Stang (cleaner, polish, nxt topped with gc) but it's a darker, metallic color. Now, how do I make my yellow Baja "pop" like the stang? I've used polish & nxt once, and it looked good, but it just didnt pop. I know it'a partly a short coming on light colored vehicles, but...

This is the DD, so it needs to be durable & look good doing it. Our driveway is covered with maples, so it gets tree sap on it daily.

The stang:

The Baja:
    Last edited by electricgreen; May 23, 2005, 06:48 PM.

From looking at the picture, I'm not sure you can make that color of yellow Pop!, at least like you can a metallic paint. (That's usually the term used to describe metallic paints that are polished to a high level and ultra clear and glossy).

Mellow paints like the yellow on your car, like white paint, are best if you get them as glossy as possible. Gloss comes from smoothness and a couple of coats of a good wax.

Try claying, then a paint cleaner like either Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, or ScratchX, then a pure polish and then two coats of wax. If you do all of the above, whatever the end-result is, this will be the paint's maximum potential.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well, in sticking with the consumer line, the only variation you could try is going with a gold class wax, or #26 wax, etc. I mention #26 as I have seen it at some Autozone type places, so you may get it just as easily. Trying the different options of wax can change the look of the car.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Did someone say yellow? This is yellow on NXT. I think the prep was done with #83 Swirl Free Polish or #82 DACP, but I bet Color-X would work just as well on your Scooby

Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"
        2013 Camaro ... triple black
        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          From looking at the picture, I'm not sure you can make that color of yellow Pop!, at least like you can a metallic paint. (That's usually the term used to describe metallic paints that are polished to a high level and ultra clear and glossy).
          That's what I was afraid of...I pretty much knew that would be the answer, but I was really hoping someone had a secret method of making "flat" (non metallic lighter colors) "POP".

It's funny, but one of the main reasons I want to repaint my Ranger a different color is that it will never "pop" (it's a light blue/silver color).

Hopefully soon I'll get a chance to clay, polish & wax-I was going to just wash & Wax with GC this weekend, but found the paint in need of a claying/paint cleaner, so I just washed and figured I'd wait on the wax until I could properly prep the surface. I guess I spent too much time on the Stang-I ran out of daylight before I could get to the Baja!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');