• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big School Boy Error :-( :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big School Boy Error :-( :-(

Hi Guys,

Long time no speak. Need to update my profile. I now drive a mk7 Golf GTD in pure white. And my wife drives a Nissan X-Trail in Zinc.

The reason for my thread is simple. Always, always check the paint depth prior to any kind of DA worker.

Are mint 9 yr old X-Trail got detailed Fri-Sat. Compound, polish & wax. Due to being a daily drive/ workhorse it only see's clay once a year & a wax. This year I decide to spend 2 days, simply on the paint.

On returning from an evening meal, some arse, decided to key the passengers front door :-(. Part of the scratch was only surface, while the rest had gone through the paint :-( :-( :-(.

Sunday am I decided to cut out the scratch the best that I could. Not even thinking to check the paint again after heavy correction work.

So now I'm left with a faint scratch and a circle where I have cut through the clear coat. Ok, I know it needed a repaint. But never under estimate the cutting power of a Megs DA & Ultimate Compound.

Still kicking myself. Gutted. :-(.

Rappy.

Forgot to add, detailing for well over 15 yrs :-( :-(

Comment

Re: Big School Boy Error :-( :-(

How can you tell you burned the clear coat? Are you getting paint transfer on the pad? It could be DA haze, over working the product. Did you try following up with a polish and polishing pad?
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        How can you tell you burned the clear coat? Are you getting paint transfer on the pad? It could be DA haze, over working the product. Did you try following up with a polish and polishing pad?
        No noticeable discoloration of pad, especially with compounds with color. Yes tried to fix. No luck. Burn through the size of two quarters. A friend of the owner said, " No wonder, Meguiar's not made for new vehicles." I offered to pay for repaint, owner said no, leave it, no problem.

I got the scratch out....

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        David

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz:561276
          Yes paint transfer gutted -(. The last time I burnt through paint was around 15 yrs ago using a rotary. TBH it was going to see a repaint due to the scratch being so deep. Just not as quick as it needs it now :-(.

Comment

Just tried adding pics. But it wont allow me to. Never had issues before.

Comment

I keep getting this message.

The usser has logged in but does not have permission to perform this request?

I may need to move pics to dropbox etc....

Comment

Link to thread on the X-Trail forum, with pics.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38193&p=283625#p283625

Comment

Upload your photos into your gallery or host them on something like photobucket. I can't see the photos at that link due to permission.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/f588f4jsiltikcl/AADWncWSEqInFUxTaSvNEV1Ka

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');