• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a red car and have a question about using meguairs ultimate compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a red car and have a question about using meguairs ultimate compound

I have a 1988 nissan with original paint which is called hot red now the paint is faded but i went and picked up a bottle of meguairs ultimate compound. I applied some on a mf cloth and rubbed it into a small section to see if the paint would come back glossy and it sure did but when i looked at the towel i saw red so is this bad? Should i continue doing the whole car with meguairs uc since its making the color come back to life or no? I plan on washing and drying the car first, applying uc with a oribital buffer, applying wax.

Re: I have a red car and have a question about using meguairs ultimate compound

your car doesn't have clear coat so you are polishing off the old worn out paint. Red on the polishing towel is normal. Just be careful not to polish through to primer. start out slow least agressive as possible.

Comment

if it doesnt have clear coat then why when i used uc on it i saw a gloss?

Comment

U have single stage paint. Ur rubbing off some paint and oxidation. It is normal to see red on ur pad. I do suggest u get a foam applicator but if u plan on using ur orbital get a foam bonnet. It isn't a da but what we all wax spreaders I assume. That's cuz they offer little correcting ability if ur trying to get spider webs or tiny scratches out. But it may work just not as well as a da polisher would.

Comment

I tried using cleaner wax and still was seeing red is this ok then? and should i continue doing the whole car? I was using a microfiber cloth when i was applying uc and yes im gonna use a yellow foam bonnet when applying the uc with the orbital but if it gets filthy is it ok to use a microfiber bonnet?

Comment

Yes, all normal for single stage paint.

Once all the oxidation is removed, it is also normal to see a shine, even if there is no clear coat.

Just be aware that microfiber is a bit more aggressive than foam.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Ok can i use one foam bonnet to do the whole car or do i need at least 2?

Comment

At least two..
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Anyway to clean it off and keep using it? how do i know when its time to put a new one on? By the way im using a 10" orbital and i have 2 yellow foam pads should that do it for a 2 door car?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovecleancars View Post
                    Anyway to clean it off and keep using it? how do i know when its time to put a new one on? By the way im using a 10" orbital and i have 2 yellow foam pads should that do it for a 2 door car?
                    I doubt it, I have 2 cutting pads and 4 polishing pads for my PC (I also have a single stage red car) and that's sometimes not enough (I AM ordering more). Your bonnets are going to become clogged with both product and dead paint and will need to be cleaned before proceeding. Doing it properly, just the hood will probably take one ... you will know when the bonnet is done by the way it acts on the paint and by how it looks, you will be able to see that the pores of the pad are clogged. Your choices are either get more bonnets or spread the job out over a few days so you can wash the bonnets
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"
                    2013 Camaro ... triple black
                    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Meguiar's microfiber pads for the DA work really well to remove oxidation and they clean up quite well with a blast of compressed air. Sure, they turn red, but the blast of air does remove all the spent paint and polish extremely well. Fortunately ss paint is soft and easy to correct so the process should not require heavy abrasives or cutting pads. Since your car is faded and oxidized it would probably be advisable to clean the pads on the fly after every small section.

Here is a video on pad cleaning with an air compressor.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

but wouldnt it be better to use foam with uc since its less aggressive then microfiber? and what other way can i clean the bonnets since i dont have a air compressor?

Comment

UC is a fairly abrasive SMAT polish and pads come in numerous aggressiveness levels.

For a discussion of the abrasiveness order of Meguiar's products see this thread: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t-surprise-you!

Here is another "on the fly" method for cleaning foam pads using a cotton towel. You can use a pad brush too pads but it is more time consuming and less effective than the air. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyrBrqz_YU

I personally prefer using the microfiber pads and M300 and M302 products. They work fast and leave a great finish.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovecleancars View Post

Have you thought about getting a dual action polisher?
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');