• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Products Contain Carnauba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Products Contain Carnauba?

Well, you need to try it and see what you think. UWWA/D115 is a spray cleaner-wax, and definitely gives me the "black hole" look I get from GCQW, and it requires less wiping than GCQW. Believe me, I would not rave about it here if it was just so-so meh. UWWA/D115 possibly doesn't have as much carnauba as GCQW, because it's trying to do everything in one wipe, and GCQW is best for a dedicated re-waxing on an already clean surface. So, if your car isn't dirty, you probably won't notice much difference between them.

Of the carnauba-centric and GC-centric finish products I have, I now use them like this:
    • Dress, Clay, Prep: GC Quik Detailer (syn, no carnauba)
    • Daily Wash & Wax: Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere/D115 (carnauba/syn)
    • Sudsy Wash: GC Shampoo (no carnauba, no syn)
    • Sudsy Wash & Wax: Ultimate Wash & Wax (carnauba/syn)
    • Post-Suds Re-Wax: GC Quik Wax (carnauba/syn)

So, it depends on what you need for the current situation
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

@Top Gear. I've never tried Ultimate Wash & Wax Car Wash. Let me know what you think of it once you get a around to trying it a couple of times.

Comment

I will. Despite all the rain early this week, I've had such success with UWWA I haven't needed to wash

For years I used RainX and ArmourAll carnauba washes, so I know this one will be awesome. Unfortunately, using GC Shampoo seems to remove some layers of wax/polish - or at least, using the soaked wash mitt does - so between that and the cats-n-dogs rain it's essential to leave some protection behind with everything I do. Yet, I really like GC Shampoo, particularly that "Johnson's Baby Shampoo" scent that takes me back to the 70s, so I may keep using it as a first pass wash with UWW as a second - usually when I do wash, it really needs it. I did this a couple of weeks ago with GC followed by ArmourAll Wash & Wax. We'll see...

Comment

Wash once.. Then wash once more?? And you wonder why you're removing wax?? Lol;p

I go across the paint with 1 side of the mitt using just the weight of the mitt, then turn it around and go over again using a bit more pressure to clean. And I sometimes think that's overdoing it. Lol.

Comment

One wash is all you need. Any wash is going to remove wax as the wax will start to break down from the elements. Especially from rain which really pounds on wax. D301 is not meant to be a durable wax. So what you are seeing with it is expected. I've read people seeing 1-2 months out of it. And they are not in Southern California.

Wash once and follow up with your QW. Boom you're done. Keep it simple. The more you touch the paint the more swirls you are going to install onto the paint.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

^^ Bingo. See, we can agree on something, Mike I also agree with Eldo.

First of all, I just got a new wash mitt which is like twice as thick (demoting the other to wheels or pre-washing bugs off). So, I'm just talking about passing the mitt over using the weight of the water it holds, not much more pressure than that. Yet, on the nose of the car, if I've driven at speed at night, again, this is the South, so I can often have lots and lots of bug splats, and bonded bug bits will remain stuck on after the kind of super-light wash Eldo is talking about. There are other parts of the car that get dirtier, of course, and waving a mitt around just won't cut it. Hence 2, even 3 wash passes for some parts.

I'm sorry all this interferes with the ideal theory of lightest touch washing, but if you want the car clean where I live, you have to put some effort into it. Also, as I've said many times, one thunderstorm alone where I live will wash off a great amount of wax and polishing oils. In my DAMF thread, for example, I described how the next day after doing some correction, the rain washed off much of that protection. Can't blame that on a wash mitt or technique.

Now, I've noticed two key things during the months I've tried GC Shampoo by itself. First, it obviously contains no real protection, carnauba or otherwise, and that is noticeable in the resulting surface, but second, it's simply great for cleaning, often in one pass. The other carnauba washes I've used (remember, still haven't actually tried UWW) were not as good at actually cleaning as GC, but they left that faint carnauba protection behind. Also, not being born yesterday, I've known for a long time that wax gets washed/rained off very easily, no matter what wax or sealant someone is bragging about (or selling). So, putting all that together, I've found that a second lighter pass with the suds of a carnauba wash does the trick, while GC has already done the cleaning. I still have to test UWW to see how it compares when used by itself. If need be, I'm totally fine with doing two passes of one or both washes. Either way, I'll still re-wax with GCQW.

Also, UWWA now helps tremendously with this overall effort. Since I will be using UWWA many times over before needing a full wash, there will be some degree of carnauba boost as well as some degree of synthetic protection of the D301 finish which the wash mitt won't really affect as it would an otherwise untouched D301 surface. I say this because the other day we got a torrential thunderstorm after I'd applied UWWA and it was much more durable than I'd expected.

Comment

Yup I agree. The protection left behind by UWWA is surprisingly effective.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');