• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying your car..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying your car..

Anybody on here ever use a leaf blower and then a water magnet to dry there car..

Lots of people do that.

Comment

Re: Drying your car..

Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Masta Blasta Sidekick, then an assortment of waffle weaves. Yes indeed.

For some reason if I'm doing someone elses car, I dry with the waffle weave 1st then use the blower, then dry again of course.. Seems totally backwards, but I feel it's best to play it safe and not give a chance to water spots on someone elses vehicle.

But on my cars I always blow 1st, then follow up with the drying towel. Otherwise it feels like double the work.

How do you guys do it?

Comment

Sidekick and then Dry Me a River.

I absolutely love the Sidekick. It is small, lightweight, and does exactly what its supposed to do.

Comment

Sheet, dry, master blaster on the seems, wheels and tires.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Take the nozzle off the hose and let the water gently run from the top down, and if you have a well waxed car, so much water will run off, you can almost finish the rest with a Kleenex. You guys with the leaf blowers must have very understanding neighbors, especially if you wash and dry your cars as much as I do, and using loud gas blowers like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                Take the nozzle off the hose and let the water gently run from the top down, and if you have a well waxed car, so much water will run off, you can almost finish the rest with a Kleenex. You guys with the leaf blowers must have very understanding neighbors, especially if you wash and dry your cars as much as I do, and using loud gas blowers like mine.
                I believe that most if not all people who use leaf blowers to dry their cars are using electric models so none of the exhaust & other gunk from the gas powered ones get on the paint (If you're going to be OCD, you might as well go all the way )
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

That's just what I do Blueline...and what ever is left I use a Meguiars's Water Magnet..but like you said there isn't much left..

Comment

Oh yeah, I use an electric leaf blower every time I wash - towel drying just doesn't work. I also agree that electric is the only choice, here. Gas models will blow oily junk, and battery models are way too wimpy. I've found "flooding" or sheeting (trying to leave as little water as possible) makes blow drying much harder and spotting much faster, so my last water spray is usually to create as much beading as I can, because the more beads, the more they push against each other in the air and roll away clean (hope that makes sense!). I also use a "whole house" 2-micron carbon filter mounted on the water hose, which cleans the water enough to give me a longer window before spotting. Still, 20 minutes is about it, less on a windy day
                    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

My neighbors are so busy running their lawn mowers/trimmer/blowers they wouldn't even notice me using mine for this!
                      2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

I use he water blade along with a microfiber drying towel.

Comment

"Anybody on here ever use a leaf blower and then a water magnet to dry there car.."

I always use a leaf blower to dry the car. But I rarely need to use water magnet towel afterward. If its a particularly dry day or sun is intense, I may have some water spots on the last panels I dried when done. If so, I just hit those panels with a quick detailer and wipe with MF. As good as water magnets are for absorbing copious amounts of water fast, I believe they can instill swirls onto the finish. If I use a water magnet, I lightly spray a QD first.

Comment

When drying my car, I don't sheet the water (my hose nozzle is kind of 'stuck' on the hose) I start with the roof, then the hood then the trunk lid, then the glass. By the time I get to the sides the water has started to dry, since I have a strong LSP on the car the water spots are very minor so I use UQD while drying the sides which removes the water spots.

If it's a customer's car, I'm more worried about getting the water out of the cracks than I am drying the body, since an unwaxed car rarely spots, and I am usually planning a polishing step of some kind which would remove any spots that did form.
                            Don
                            12/27/2015
                            "Darth Camaro"
                            2013 Camaro ... triple black
                            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                              I believe that most if not all people who use leaf blowers to dry their cars are using electric models so none of the exhaust & other gunk from the gas powered ones get on the paint (If you're going to be OCD, you might as well go all the way )
                              That makes sense. Hadn't thought about an electric blower.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');