• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First DA Polisher Use On Ford F150 (White)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First DA Polisher Use On Ford F150 (White)

Folks

I've bought a DA polisher and am about to embark on using it on my three cars. First one on the docket is my 2001 White Ford F150. I've owned this car since it was delivered to the dealer.

I've never truly waxed it, let alone clay-bar and polish. Ignorance is bliss I guess and it's only been since I got my BMW 328i that I've cared about cleaning my cars "the right way" or better stated, "a better way".

So plans are to learn the use of the DA before I apply those lessons on our Infinti QX4 and the bimmer. I did a hand polish/wax of our riding mower and it turned out very well.

Anyway my plan for the F150 is: wash, clay bar, polish (Ultimate Polish), then wax (Ultimate Liquid Wax). Does anybody think I should hit it with something more aggresive like M100 or M105?

Stew

Re: First DA Polisher Use On Ford F150 (White)

A test spot will tell you if you need to go more aggressive. If you are happy with the results that ultimate polish gives you then no need to go further. If you need to go more aggressive Ultimate Compound might be a bit easier for you to work with than M105.

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
      A test spot will tell you if you need to go more aggressive. If you are happy with the results that ultimate polish gives you then no need to go further. If you need to go more aggressive Ultimate Compound might be a bit easier for you to work with than M105.
      I agree with this.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

DasBurninator,

I have used Ultimate compound quite a bit and have been thinking about using M105 on some of the more neglected cars I see. I am curious why you say "Ultimate Compound might be a bit easier for you to work with than M105" in the previous post. Just curious and want to learn more about M105 before I take the plunge.

Comment

M105 has a learning curve to it. It has a short working time, it dusts much more than UC. If overworked it will dry like concrete on the paint. My personal preference is M101 which has a longer working time than M105 or D300 on the microfiber cutting pads.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            M105 has a learning curve to it. It has a short working time, it dusts much more than UC. If overworked it will dry like concrete on the paint. My personal preference is M101 which has a longer working time than M105 or D300 on the microfiber cutting pads.
            To this day I still have trouble with M105 when it is warmer out. I agree with using M101, and actually have found foam pads to be easier to work with than microfiber lately. Microfiber is too finicky IMO and would rather use them for spots that actually need that level of correction ability. Then again I have a rotary for that stuff too...

Anyways I am side tracking this, back on topic.

UC is great to work with and has a better work time than M105. Especially for a first timer. It still has more than enough cut as well.

Comment

Looks like I will be picking up some UC in case the Ultimate Polish doesn't deliver the results that make me happy. With any luck I shall start this endeavor this weekend (assuming my yard project finishes up Saturday).

Comment

Finally had time to work on this a bit last night - only the truck's hood though. Washed, clay barred, polished (Ultimate Polish), two coats of Ultimate wax followed by a coat of D156.

I was happy with the results and most impressed with how smooth a finish it is. Truly amazed me.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');