• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What light to use to find swirls and scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What light to use to find swirls and scratches?

hey guys just curious to know what light you guys are using to find swirls and scratches before doing paint correction. i know the brinkmann dual xenon has been discontinued. just wanted to see what everyone is using now thanks

Re: What light to use to find swirls and scratches?

I picked up a $10 LED "trail" light from a local store. I figured if it didn't work, I'd still have a bike/flash light, but it works perfectly for correction, even in the daylight shade, because it's so crazy bright and intense. If I were doing correction every day, though, I'd probably want some type of stand light, though.
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
    4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
    First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by dedonderosa View Post
      hey guys just curious to know what light you guys are using to find swirls and scratches before doing paint correction. i know the brinkmann dual xenon has been discontinued. just wanted to see what everyone is using now thanks

I dont know what State are you in, but I live in state of WA. I have a local shopping place that is called Fred Myer. I picked the Small LED flashlight with the light power anywhere from 100 - 250 Lumen and this cost anywhere from $12-$30

As for me, I like the light power around 150 lumen because it is not too dark and not too bright, but again any light powers between that range are working very well. Or if you want to go real crazy with the light that you can pick up the LED light with stand at the light power of 1500 - 3500 lumen.

Comment

Here soon I plan on building my own LED lighting rig for when i'm polishing, but for quick inspections I use a CREE LED flashlight from amazon.

Comment

If I can't see them with my naked eye in the sunlight, then they do not exist. If someone wants to pull out a special light in the parking lot, then that is their problem, not mine. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            If I can't see them with my naked eye in the sunlight, then they do not exist. If someone wants to pull out a special light in the parking lot, then that is their problem, not mine. LOL
            LOL I agree!

Having said that, I still use my Brinkmann as a "sunlight alternative" to spot swirls when there is no sun, or I'm doing a correction in the garage.

I've found that those pesky swirls tend to show up in different light sources from halogen to LED to neon to the humble incandescent, to sunlight. So unfortunately, I believe you really need a combination of light sources to truly spot everything.

But I'll just stick to my combo of Brinkmann, neon garage lights (x 10!) and sunlight (when available).

One tip I picked up not too long ago about using a hand-held light source: Make the rest of the area as dark as possible. So I momentarily turn off all the garage lights (the window is blocked out with a curtain) before using the Brinkmann. I have found it helps to see the swirls better.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I had regular florescent in my garage, but recently changed over to the new LED strips

Soon as I did, i noticed some imperfections that i've never noticed before, such as a bird poop etching on my hood. While I know that's not exactly portable, its better than any LED flashlights that I've been using Cree, Duracell, Snap-on 2000 lumen or whatever else Costco has on offer at the time.... I'm all over my car like a rash cleaning it maybe a few times a week, and only once I installed the above ceiling LED Utilitech Pro Strip Common: 4-Ft; Actual: 48.03-in), did i notice the etching.

Comment

I use a 2000 lumen [or so it claims] Cree led flashlight. I also have a Cree headlamp which I can wear on my head while working. It comes in handy even though the neighbors probably think I'm crazy. Lol.

But when I'm polishing a car I couldn't care less what anyone thinks..

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                  ...even though the neighbors probably think I'm crazy.
                  You have to wear a headlamp for them to think you are crazy? :P

Comment

Originally posted by thedoc46 View Post
                    I had regular florescent in my garage, but recently changed over to the new LED strips

Soon as I did, i noticed some imperfections that i've never noticed before, such as a bird poop etching on my hood. While I know that's not exactly portable, its better than any LED flashlights that I've been using Cree, Duracell, Snap-on 2000 lumen or whatever else Costco has on offer at the time.... I'm all over my car like a rash cleaning it maybe a few times a week, and only once I installed the above ceiling LED Utilitech Pro Strip Common: 4-Ft; Actual: 48.03-in), did i notice the etching.
                    Thanks for sharing doc. So are those the the LED tubes that are the same size & shape as regular fluorescent tubes and a direct replacement?
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

@TheDoc46. That's putting it lightly.. I'm pretty sure all it takes is me out there doing a quik waterless wash for a few of them to think I'm nuts. Lmao;p

Car Crazy and wouldn't have it any other way

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                        @TheDoc46. That's putting it lightly.. I'm pretty sure all it takes is me out there doing a quik waterless wash for a few of them to think I'm nuts. Lmao;p

Car Crazy and wouldn't have it any other way
                        "lightly"..I get it...Ha

Comment

Whoops. I meant @DasBurninator

Comment

I have several and both get the job done... I have a Rupes light and a cheap 5 dollar LED. Both show swirls differently but I could get by with either one.

Comment

The brightest I guess! I got a 7 dollar flashlight and it does its job pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');