• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Sanding

I have a buddy who wants to have his '72 Monte Carlo color sanded and polished (with a micro fiber DA system). The paint is a metallic brown with no clear coat and is about 15 years old. What are the questions, cares or concerns I should be considering before I begin to work on the car? Can/should I be color sanding to begin with, or would a paint correction with the Meguiar's micro fiber DA polish and wax be the best bet?

Re: Color Sanding

What condition is the paint in? Do you have any pics?

Obviously, you would want to try the least aggressive method first. It can't hurt to try the DAMF system first, and it could save money plus unnecessary risk to the paint.

As far as "questions, cares or concerns" (if you do decide to sand) ask if the car has been resprayed, or is it original paint. Resprays are usually thicker than OEM paint, so if it's original paint, I'd be wary of going near it with sandpaper.

Also, do you have (or have access to) a PTG?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the advice davey g-force. I don't currently have any pics, but can get them. I am going to do a small section with the DAMF system first to see what result I'll get. I'm obviously hoping that works best because of the time and potential dangers associated with sanding.

The paint has been resprayed and is not the original. There is no clear coat and is about 15 years old. I also do not have a PTG. that would be a good measuring gauge for sure. Thanks for that heads up as well.

Comment

If it's dryed out / oxidised SS paint, you may want to nourish it with a coat or two of M7 first. There's plenty of threads around about this technique.

The paint is then likely to respond much better to any compounding.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Have you ever performed sanding work before?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');