• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice with a fresh paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice with a fresh paint job

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have been looking around and just wanted to get some clarification and advice before proceeding. I just recently painted my motorcycle with a friend, he color sanded and buff my tins but you can still see some swirl/scratch marks when its in the garage or darker light. His method was dry 1500/ wet 1500, wet 3000 and wet 5000 followed by M86, it looks amazing but I just want to clean up those marks. So my plan was to use my craftsman polisher, but i can find a decent plate to fit it so I am looking at getting a new setup as well as use the M205 with W8207 and then followed by M205 with W9207. Also since I need a new polisher or DA and I don't do this type of work very often I was looking at the HF DA or possible a PC 7424XP or should I get a polisher and not a DA? Also I am not sure what backing plate to get or if the 7in pads would work. And advice or help is welcomed. Thanks in Advance.

Re: Need some advice with a fresh paint job

OK so I was doing some more research and this is what I have found so someone please tell me it this will work.
    Meguiar's DBP5 Backing Plate with DFP5 & DFF5 pads and then using the M205. I am looking at the 7424XP or HF DA. Does this sound ok? Also I want to use M305 to protect the new paint until after the cure period is over so that I can use M26 or M34.

Comment

Seems like a solid plan. It does sound like you have rotary marks if that is what your friend used to take those sanding marks out. You may need a compound. Try a test spot with M205 and the polishing pad and go from their. If you need a compound, ultimate compound is user friendly.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Guz thanks for the reply. My biggest concern with the ultimate compound/polish was if it was body shop safe or safe for fresh paintjobs (curing process). I have heard that the UC/UP was similar to the M105/M205.

Comment

How long has it been since it was painted? Is it still in the body shop?
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

It was painted about 3 weeks ago and then dry/wet sanded and buffed with #86 about 2 weeks ago. There is still a few light swirl marks in the paint when you hit it with a light. It looks good outside.

Comment

You should be fine compounding and polishing it considering it's been 3 weeks. It's typical to wait 30 days before waxing and you are almost at the time frame. M305 would work as well if you want to wait a little longer. Either of those products will be fine to use. M105 has a slight learning curve while UC is more user friendly.

I actually waited 3 months before I touched the aftermarket hood on my car with any products.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

So the M205 will be fine with what pads and BP I mentioned above or should I use the ultimate line with the pads mentioned? According to the Paint Company they recommend Watonga 6 month before apply any type of wax. I am just trying to fish the polish on the paint.

Comment

This is the typical approach with liquids and pads.

Cutting pad = compound

Polishing pad = polish

Finishing pad = wax/sealant

I would get the 5" backing plate and 5" pads with either DA.

Either product line will work. I like the versatility of M205 versus Ultimate Polish.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks Guz, do you think 2 of each pad is good to get started?

Comment

Yeah that should get you started. Be sure to clean them as you go. Search cleaning on the fly on here and on google.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');