• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailed jet black mazda 6 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed jet black mazda 6 2014

Detailed the car by hand. As a rookie, working by hand, wash, clay, Ultimate polish and Ultimate wax probably took me 10-12 hours all in all. Worked around 8 hours yesterday alone in an 85 F garage, small parking space. Sun wasn't shining today so who knows what it will look like in direct sunlight, but this is what it looks like in day light on a cloudy day. I did a lot of research before I did this and got lots of help from the member Spazzz. I had 0% experience before.
    It was physically rough, very rough, and I am in bad shape, but I did it!!! Hope you guys like it!

Sorry I am using apple and can't get the picture upload thing to work, but below are links to pics!

Edit: oh and tires are undressed at the moment. Will do them when I can move again!

Re: Detailed jet black mazda 6 2014

go to your pic..right click and select "Copy Image Address" then hit Insert Image on this website and do a right click/paste..That will link the URL for the pic

Comment

Thank you brother! Here it comes if anyone is interested:

Edit: So these are just coming up as "?" for me. Can anyone view it? I think its a mac problem

Comment

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2wp8idx.jpg[/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

A few more, I kind of lost my spot. The tinypic is pretty buggy with the links.
        I think it turned out really well. When the opportunity arises get some sun shots.
        Glad it all worked out for you.
        Did you happen to check panels with any kind of light to face the music?

Comment

what he said ^ Its a tiny pic thing not a Mac thing…I pasted the first one on a Mac

Comment

Well done, it looks great!

Were there any swirls to begin with? If so, they're probably still there, but at least it shiny!
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
              Well done, it looks great!

Were there any swirls to begin with? If so, they're probably still there, but at least it shiny!
              Yup there was swirls. I think the wax probably covers them up a little bit but also the fact that the sun wasn't out.

Comment

As long as you're happy!

If you want to remove the swirls later, you might want to invest in a DA and some UC.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                  As long as you're happy!

If you want to remove the swirls later, you might want to invest in a DA and some UC.
                  As I have mentioned to you and others before...I do want to remove the swirls, but I cannot use a DA where I work on the car and attempting to do a whole black car with UC by hand is a very bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishCanadian View Post
                    attempting to do a whole black car with UC by hand is a very bad idea.
                    What makes you think this?
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      What makes you think this?
                      What makes you not think this? Have you attempted doing a whole black car with UC by hand and gotten a great result?

First off, removing those swirls by hand is very hard. I used proper pads and technique, applied it three times, used lots elbow grease, still, I'd estimate only 70% or so came off. A lot of hard, hard, haaaard work for getting rid of 70% of swirls, maybe 80% or 90% if you're really, really really good? Simply not worth it. We're talking days of hard work here, and there will still be quite a few swirls.

Secondly, removing swirls in a smaller test spot without causing other horrible things such as marring is fairly easy. That's what they always do in videos etc when they wanna flash with how easy it is to remove swirls by hand. Try doing this on an area that's not flat, say the front bumper...you will, almost guaranteed, cause marring, cheetah spots and what not. Sure, ultimate polish will get rid of some of it, ultimate wax will cover up the rest, temporarily. Putting imperfections like this on your paint that comes to life as soon as the wax wears off is not, in my humble opinion, a good idea.

Let 100 guys attempt to do a whole black car with ultimate compound by hand, and very few, if any, will achieve great results even using proper technique. The flat areas on the hood will be a cake, but as we all know, there's more than that to a car.

Comment

SC, you're right. You can go over your paint with UC by hand and fix some things, but it will likely look psychedelic with holograms. Compounding by hand is just not a viable option in the real world of working alone in one's spare time, most especially on black or dark paint. I think you did a fine wax job on a sharp looking Mazda! We've put the bug in your ear, so you'll probably figure out a way to get into DA work despite the HOA/condo limitations
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

First off, removing those swirls by hand is very hard.
                          Nobody said it was easy. Which is why a majority of us invest in a machine. To achieve 70% is good. You had high expectations to have 90-100% swirl free finish but the reality is that there are limitations by hand as you have experienced.

Have you attempted doing a whole black car with UC by hand and gotten a great result?
                          Yup. Which is one other reason I own a machine and one reason I don't own a black car.

Secondly, removing swirls in a smaller test spot without causing other horrible things such as marring is fairly easy. That's what they always do in videos etc when they wanna flash with how easy it is to remove swirls by hand. Try doing this on an area that's not flat, say the front bumper...you will, almost guaranteed, cause marring, cheetah spots and what not. Sure, ultimate polish will get rid of some of it, ultimate wax will cover up the rest, temporarily. Putting imperfections like this on your paint that comes to life as soon as the wax wears off is not, in my humble opinion, a good idea.

Let 100 guys attempt to do a whole black car with ultimate compound by hand, and very few, if any, will achieve great results even using proper technique. The flat areas on the hood will be a cake, but as we all know, there's more than that to a car.
                          Keep practicing your technique. It takes a handful of times to get the technique down.

Did I mention to invest in a DA polisher
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                            Nobody said it was easy. Which is why a majority of us invest in a machine. To achieve 70% is good. You had high expectations to have 90-100% swirl free finish but the reality is that there are limitations by hand as you have experienced.

Yup. Which is one other reason I own a machine and one reason I don't own a black car.

Keep practicing your technique. It takes a handful of times to get the technique down.

Did I mention to invest in a DA polisher
                            I'm a smart guy and I would have bought a DA a long time ago if I had a place to use it, as previously mentioned. So no, I will not practise my technique. I will instead wait to use UC until I find a place where I can use a DA properly and unfortunately, it may take time.

Comment

I think your somewhat negative tone about the UC product is not quite fair. I have used it both by hand, and by DA in the past, although not on a black car. Using it by hand got rid of many small imperfections, and perhaps 40-50% of swirls, which I thought at the time was a great result. In other words, it worked really well as a paint cleaner, and the car looked much better after the treatment. Being a light coloured metallic car, removing all the swirls or half of them doesn't really make a noticeable difference during daylight to be - sadly - perfectly honest (as I later realized). Then moved on to DA, yellow pads, and that was perhaps 80ish % swirl removal.... Then tried the microfiber discs with d300, and we started to face the possibility of total swirl removal... I'm sure doing many many more passes with UC would have reached the goal, but didn't have the time...
                              So UC is a great product, but you have to be a bit more realistic what can be achieved, and this is where the test spot comes in. If it takes huge effort to reach your goal in a small area, then yes, doing the whole car will take many days (by hand), section by section.... Lastly, not being able to use a DA, but wanting to achieve result, then UC is still the best option...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');