• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The flex 3401 necessary to have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flex 3401 necessary to have?

Hey guys I'm having a bit of a dilemma or detailing addiction here. I have the Makita 9227c rotary, and the porter cable DA 7424xp. Based on a lot of reviews I'm about to purchase the rupes 21 Bigfoot polisher and the 5 inch backing plate.

I am worried though I may need the flex if I am going to have professional equipment. My thinking though is if I have a rotary, and a great DA the flex isn't really needed is it?

I read a thread (switching from DA to flex) where Michael stoops mentioned he didn't really care for the 3401, but loved the 3403 rotary from flex. Just have a good Rotary and DA and you're good to go. Thoughts?

Re: The flex 3401 necessary to have?

The Flex won't bog down like the PC can since it is more of a forced rotation machine, but if you're happy with the results and comfortable with the PC, then stick with it. Too If you're competent with a rotary and have one, then all you need is the PC and the rotary, any other machine(s) not really necessary and usually end up unused. Just my opinion.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Thanks dom for the reply. I am happy with the PC, and anything heavy a rotary can handle. But I can't help but see the rave and good work the rupes can do

Comment

Originally posted by DJMagnum View Post
        Hey guys I'm having a bit of a dilemma or detailing addiction here. I have the Makita 9227c rotary, and the porter cable DA 7424xp. Based on a lot of reviews I'm about to purchase the rupes 21 Bigfoot polisher and the 5 inch backing plate.

I am worried though I may need the flex if I am going to have professional equipment. My thinking though is if I have a rotary, and a great DA the flex isn't really needed is it?

I read a thread (switching from DA to flex) where Michael stoops mentioned he didn't really care for the 3401, but loved the 3403 rotary from flex. Just have a good Rotary and DA and you're good to go. Thoughts?

Well, if you are already have the ROTARY and you are good at it, now if you just want to upgrade on DA side, then, I would go for Rupes 21LHR. Now, for me. I would pick that over 3401 because myself, Rupes has much much better control and the thrown diameter working very well on cutting.

Lastly, it is up to each an individual personal choice tho that which route do you prefer?

Comment

I have DeWalt rotary, a Rupes 21 BF and the PC. They all service different purposes and all get their fair share of use.

You could get the Flex in place of the Rupes, I guess?
          The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us
          Serving: Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX

Comment

Well I really don't want the flex because with rotary I can finish well, and even the porter cable can finish swirl free over it. I don't really want a hard to control machine, I wanna have the rupes for a better single step correction.

Comment

I have a Rotary for heavier corrections and will just follow up with the Cyclo.
              My next DA will probably be a Rupes 15. Personally I don't like the Flex 3401... I am a seasoned rotary user and it walks me around panels sometimes. The rotation is backwards from a rotary, so that doesn't help anything.

If I was doing one-step jobs on cars then the 3401 would be my go to most likely. It is kind of second to none for knocking things out and finishing well at the same time.

Comment

Yes it seems like a lot of control and pressure is needed for it, I would rather use my rotary and rupes 21. I just ordered it today, I'm excited.

Flex maybe soon, I wanna test one out first though

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');