• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Shiny Spots on tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Shiny Spots on tire

I am not really sure where I would post this, so I picked here to be safe lol.

I recently -- like last Wednesday or so -- went and got new tires at the local tire shop. I got the DWS06. Well, while washing my car, I realized that some parts of the tire(some tires have it worse than others) have these weird shiny spots that are really smooth. Any tips on what to do or if it's a problem, etc?

The tire is dry mostly btw as you can see. I'm talking about the spot after the "06" and around the "DWS" part and after it so you know where I am talking about.

Thanks

Re: Weird Shiny Spots on tire

Hard to say what that spot is. Have you thought about using a tire cleaner and a tire brush to clean? A product such as hot rims all wheel & tire cleaner? Did the sop put any dressing on the tire?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I did clean them, they were all brown and dirty so I know the shop didn't do any cleaning. I washed and waxed my car yesterday. I used Purple Power (just as I always have) and a brush, cleaned them, and then I put a dressing on them to see if that would hide the spot on the tires. They are all over the tires, but that was the easiest one to get a photo of on my way in the house lol. Some tires have it worse than others. That one had a good spot of non shiny smooth parts with a spot of the issue without needing to try to describe the problem.

Comment

Looks like a new tire to me. I wouldn't scrub any more! You're just rubbing off whatever oils/waxes or treatments are there from the factory to help protect the rubber from dry-rotting. I'd just put some tire foam/black dressing stuff on them as suits you and move on with life. When the sidewalls get dirty in a few days/weeks, just wash gently with a regular mitt or rag, or otherwise, re-dress.
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Thanks guys, I hope I didn't mess up anything :0...lol. The tiredressing that is on it in the picture is chemical guys Rubber and trim or something like that. Real subtle look -- since I wipe off the access and the tires were practically drinking it lol. I realize it doesn't look dressed when it actually is and is visible at a whole view of the vehicle lol.

I feel better now though, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by wwe9112 View Post
            I did clean them, they were all brown and dirty so I know the shop didn't do any cleaning. I washed and waxed my car yesterday. I used Purple Power (just as I always have) and a brush, cleaned them, and then I put a dressing on them to see if that would hide the spot on the tires. They are all over the tires, but that was the easiest one to get a photo of on my way in the house lol. Some tires have it worse than others. That one had a good spot of non shiny smooth parts with a spot of the issue without needing to try to describe the problem.
            Shops don't do cleanings. They just slap some silicone dressing unless you ask them not to. I don't know how good purple power is but you won't find me using that in any automotive application as it's a harsh cleaner to begin with.

My advice is to put on a good water based tire dressing and give them a good cleaning every now and then. Maybe every 3 weeks or so.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Does walmart sell any water based tire dressings? I have on there now Chemical Guys VRP or something along that name lol, which is water based.

Comment

That should work.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Conti's tend to have a mold release agent stuck to them for a week or two of driving. Most likely part of what you are seeing.

I would wait a week or two until it wears off and then really scrub them with something like D101 and dress them.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');