• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New black truck need help detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New black truck need help detailing

Hey everyone im new to this forum. I just recently purchased a brand new black truck. Yesterday i purchased meguiars gold class car wash and spray on wax. Need more tips on protecting my paint. I also noticed "scratchy looking swirls" in the paint. Please let me know what other products i need to purchased and step by step process. Thanks!

Re: New black truck need help detailing

What product lines do you have access to? Ultimate? Mirror Glaze?

Are you looking to do this by machine or by hand?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Since your truck is black and if you want to keep it looking good, I would strongly suggest buying a DA polisher for a start..
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

so far ive purchased the ultimate spray wax and the gold class car wash along with microfiber cloths. Not familiar with the DA polisher. Need step by step process from where i stand now from just first time car wash and first time just spray on wax on a brand new black truck. What products should i be using? Order process? How many times a week/month? I live in hawaii where i take my family drive by the ocean about 3-4 times out of the month. Truck is not daily driven its garage kept with half of the hood to front bumper sticking out of garage. Big mahalo(thank you) for everyones input on helping me

Comment

If you are just starting off you may want to keep it simple:

Wash
          Clay
          Wax (Ultimate wax is a great choice. I prefer the paste over the liquid version)

Ultimate Spray Wax is more of something used for in between when you need a traditional wax or sealant as a booster. It is also an excellent drying aid

If you want to get more in depth into fixing the swirls then I would invest in a DA polisher and a few pads. Ultimate Compound and Ultimate polish are great products for beginners.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply. So about once a week 1. Wash 2.clay(still not familiar with this) 3. Paste wax? When do i appy the DA polisher? Do i need to apply a wax cleaner before starting with a new paste wax since currently i have a spray on wax? Thanks!

Comment

For weekly washing you will just want to do a wash and dry with spray wax.

Claying is removing bonded contaminants from the paint. Stuff that normal washing won't remove.
              Claying isn't needed everytime you wash. Every few months (as needed). Google search the baggie test and it will show you a bit about how to determine if claying is necessary.

You can use a cleaner wax in place of polishing if you are more comfortable with working by hand. You won't get as much correction of the paint, but you may be happy with those results. I like using something with a bit more longevity than a cleaner wax would provide, like Ultimate Paste Wax (Synthetic sealant).

Spray wax isn't a replacement for a traditional wax. They are used as a booster normally and/or as a drying aid. Spray wax is also great for door jambs.

DA Polishers are machines like the Porter Cable 2474XP or the Meguiars G110v2.

Comment

What you should do is the following:

Wash your car by hand weekly. Use two deep buckets with grit guards. One to rinse off the dirt in. Use high quality mitts and high quality microfibre drying towels. Wash mitts and towels after each use, separate. Don't use softener. Gold class is good stuff. Mist the spray wax on after and wipe dry. I would also recommend that as soon as possibly, you do an application of ultimate liquid wax. Use the ultimate liquid wax about 4 times a year.

Buy a DA polisher. When needed, probably twice a year, after washing the car do a full Claying, compound, polishing and then waxing. This will keep your car looking great!

Dont forget to keep your tires mint. Wash them with a brush and the rims with something more soft (not the mitts you use for paint) and dress them. Every few months, use something more aggressive such as the the meguirs tire and rims cleaner.

again, the above will keep your black car looking great, even up close! If you only want it to look ok up close and great from 10 feet away, proper washing and waxing with the occasional polish should be fine.

Comment

thanks everyone for the tips. as for the DA polisher and clay. any recommedations on which to purchase? thanks

Comment

if the stores down here dont have something in particular i just purchase online. looking work by hand and machine down the line.

Comment

also when do i need to use a wax cleaner or how often?

Comment

I use mothers clay. Meguiars are probably good stuff too. As for DA and by hand pads, I would recommend Meguiars. You should be able to find it all on Amazon.

Wax the car every season and use ultimate polish or some kind of compound (depending on severe swirls etc are) twice a year or so. That's some good general guidelines but all depends.

Comment

Originally posted by jkmhi89 View Post
                          thanks everyone for the tips. as for the DA polisher and clay. any recommedations on which to purchase? thanks
                          It depends on your budget. There are quite a few choices when it comes to DA's. Pick up a clay kit. It will have what you need.

Originally posted by jkmhi89 View Post
                          also when do i need to use a wax cleaner or how often?
                          Not the answer you want to hear but routinely. 3-4 times a year would be a place to start. The life of a wax or sealant is based on the surrounding environment.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

since i already have the ultimate spray wax on should i just wait until im finish with that spray bottle then purchase the paste for a better seal for the paint? pass 2 weeks i have been just washing and spray waxing. im thinking of paste waxing about 6 times a year so every other month? during my pasting time ill be also claying when needed and if i notice the swirls i will apply wax cleaner since ill will be doing it by hand instead of a DA polisher. on my once a week car washing routine should it be fine just washing and hand drying? or will it be ok to still apply spray on wax even though ill be pasting every other month? i wasnt sure if ill be overloading the wax on my paint=)

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');