• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polsihing with Power Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polsihing with Power Tools

So I'm relatively new to car detailing, I've been detailing only for 2 months but I have always skipped polishing because in every polish video I've seen they've always used power tools. I want to start using a rotary polish or orbital and start polishing my car but I have 2 questions.

1) I've heard the rotary is a very advanced tool to use and can easily damage your car if used incorrectly but the orbital is very easy to learn how to use. I would like to use an orbital but I'm wondering how I can get proper practice and training before I use it on my car?

2) If I get an orbital and an orbital backing plate, what size should I get relative to the size of the pads. Like if I got a 6" backing plate can I only buy pads that are <6" or can I put a 6.5" pad on them without any problems?

Also just side note question, are we only allowed to talk about meguiar products here? I'm also brand new to the forum and couldn't see that anywhere in the FAQ although I definitely could have just missed it. Thank you.

Re: Polsihing with Power Tools

Since you are new. I would recommend you get a dual action polisher. It's safe and easy to use. You just have to take the time to practice and get the technique down.

You have quite a few options in DA's. Porter Cable, Griots Garage, Harbor Freight, Meguiar's MT300, Rupes, Flex. It all comes down to what kind of budget you have.

Depending on the toll you purchase, that would determine what pad size to get. The PC, GG, MT300 and HF work best with 5" pads and a 5" backing plate. The new Meguiar's thin pads work very well with these.

You can ask about other products but you may not get an answer since most of us on here use Meguiar's products.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Polsihing with Power Tools

Ok I'll start with a DA then but simply out of curiosity if I got a Flex PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher with a 6" TORQ R5 Rotary Red Backing Plate, could I use that with a 6.5" or even a 7.5" pad?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');